View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
What is an extraordinary individual? 

The Odin Brotherhood claims that only extraordinary men and women are contacted by the Gods. I have my opinions about what encompasses an "extraordinary" but I am curious what each of you on the form do that somehow makes you extraordinary?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:51 am

It is up to the Gods to decide if I am extraordinary or not, I can only control that which is in my power. To that end I seek mastery over myself. I constantly strive to improve my mind, my body and my skills. I sacrifice so that my family will benefit.

We are each given opportunities to excel. Those who make the most of those opportunities may attract the attention of the Gods.

I currently hold two jobs both of which I know were made available to me, one by a God and one by a Goddess, to provide me with opportunities to be their "agent" in our realm. I feel that one of them is a manifestation of my wyrd that allows me to strengthen my ørlög. The other is the opposite, a result of my ørlög allowing me to meet my wyrd.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:48 am

Hail.

I agree with Tyrsman. It is up to the Gods to decide if we are worth their attention. I work completely on self mastery for the sake of being the best I can be and to be the best I can be for my family and friends. There is many things I have yet to work on and improve in my daily life. Some of these things are incredibly basic and simple. However I have lived through extremes of life. I believe the Gods themselves put me into life altering situations multiple times where the slightest mistake I could have made would have lead to my death. I think if we work hard on following the 9 noble virtues and live a life that the Gods themselves would approve of is essential for them to notice us from up on High in Asgaard.

Hail To The Gods!

Bucky

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I agree with both Tyrsman and Bucky. We are what we aspire to be. We are what we work hard on being. To work at being extraordinary that is what the Gods ask of us. To be better, stronger, more honourable. To ensure that we work on all these things every waking moment and to encourage others to do the same - particularly our younger kin - we will become extraordinary. There are no set rules only guidelines given to us in the Havamal. It is up to us to interpret them as Odin wished and each of us will interpret them uniquely. We cannot tell you how to become extraordinary, that path is set by you and you alone as it is your path with your circumstances - as Tyrsman has said, it is your wyrd and your orlog, use them wisely.

BjornBerserk - Share with us what your interpretation of 'extraordinary' is - perhaps we may learn from this also. Storm

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Before I could have given you a concrete answer but not anymore. I have met people who have dedicated their lives to "Asatru" and even sought to build their own communities within municipalities and begin to build their own ethnic culture by marrying each others children to each other. They are all very skilled in carpentry and old blacksmithing. I mean very well and they live their beliefs. Yet they have an arrogance I cant quite put my finger on and something that makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean they are extraordinary at what they do but are they any different then any other human being striving to be different, to define themselves. At first I questioned my value to them if I joined their community since coming from the army my skill set is limited in comparison. I mean I can do basic stuff but the heritage type stuff they did was phenomenal. But then I realized when I leave the Army I am trading one master for another; another term of subjegation as I have done on previous cycles.

Another type of Odinist I have encountered is the clever man who takes in a company and becomes wealthy. That is nice but all the same spending time to make other s rich.
I am at a cross roads in my life where I no longer want to remain in the military nor am I content working as a wage slave for a company or corperation. I don't want to play the governments game when it comes to farming although I enjoy it. I lost my wife and family to mlral decadence while I served and now I suffer as a part time parent searching for meaning in the void that was.

The thing that stuns me the most is when I realize how many people thing they are extraordinary when they are insperate insect among a swarm.

My closest guest would be the person who realizes they have all the tools in their arsenal to be content. The mastery of self that Tyrsmen mentioned in a different context. When you stop the constant internal conflict, conquer self doubt and anything is truly possible I theorize that is extraordinary.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:01 pm

To further expand my example in Buddhist mythology when Gautama Buddha is seen walking down the road by travellers the are amazed at the sight of him. They ask "Are you a god?". " No". He replied "I am enlightened". While I won't steal the Buddhist term Ibthink any military guy who has raced his friends in disassembling weapons may have heard the phrase " Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.". The man who know does it all right the first time. The person who makes all difficult task seems easy is the person who understands that there is a simplicity to everything. Examples

I have been caught by my enemies and I cannot control what they can do to me but I can control how react when I see my end. That is my power and I choose to see it calmly because that is effective. As Tyrsmen said realize what is within your power.

You are given a time limit for an assignment and a coworker is panicking to get it done and in the end they whether it is a physical or intellectual task it will only unnecessarily drain you. You can only finish it when you can by fret?

All those people I mentioned before had an impressive amount of skill and invested a massive amount of effort, they were different but not one among them was extraordinary.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Bjornberserk:
Do you know what makes the green grass grow or why the blue sky is blue?

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Bjornberserk:
Do you know what makes the green grass grow or why the blue sky is blue?

Blood makes the green grass grow
The sky is blue because its creator loves the infantry

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:06 pm

@Tyrsmen - I am interested in what you do for a "job"? Ini am interested in what you find your fullfillment?
I put this question to others also.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:23 pm

The gods do not decide who is extraordinary and who is not. The gods simply choose to believe who is or isn't, but it isn't dependent on them.

Live your life to impress yourself and make your life honor-filled, valuable and based on virtues. If, at the end of the day, you are the best possible outcome of yourself, and the gods do not believe you to be extraordinary, then stop caring about what the gods think of you.

That's what the gods would do, after all.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:10 am

I do not live my life strictly to impress the gods. I do not bow to and worship them like christians, nor seek permission from them in hopes or in fear that I go to the 'right place' when I die (that is not to say I have no hope or fear at all). Whether the gods take an interest in me or not is their own affair. I have my own affairs to deal with. It is my job as sacredhaven679 said to impress myself and make my life honour-filled and valuable based on the virtues I strive for. I strive to become more god-like, not a faithful and obedient puppy that seeks to appease and fulfill wishes. If I feel a god(s)(ess) has impressed something upon me or communicated with me, it is I who decides whether or not to follow or heed. If I do so, it is because I believe it is in my best interest, or because I believe it is the proper thing to do, or because I choose to be reverent.

I become great not because a god(ess) has chosen me, pitied me or otherwise decided to give me the magic juju. I become great because my actions and beliefs have earned me the hamingja. Again, as sacredhaven679 stated, the gods simply choose to believe who is or isn't exceptional, but becoming exceptional is not dependent on them.

Speaking of the Odin Brotherhood, the notion that the gods choose who is exceptional coupled with the OB choosing only those who are exceptional, the notion that the unworthy exclude themselves, and that the OB is self-initiatory creates a multi-level paradox that cannot be easily reconciled.

Stigandr Melrakki
The Wanderer, White Fox

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Bjorn I feel exactly the same way. Getting out of the Army soon. After a decade I am a jack of all trades master of none and feel like I am 17 again... Except with kids and a wife...

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:31 pm

This is a little off topic, but since there are a couple other Army guys on here I thought I'd post it.
I only did a couple years in the army and got an honorable discharge. It was really difficult for me when I went back home. I was so angry that I couldn't be in the Army anymore and adding to it the stress of being a grown man and having no place to go but my parents house. I was out of control and just drinking and getting high to deal with things. Then my dad said I couldn't stay there anymore after a couple months. I couldn't find a job. There aren't many jobs out there for a 21 year old Infantryman who got out on a medical discharge after only 2 years.
So I slept in a parking lot with my dog for a couple nights. I had too much pride to go ask my friends for help. Of course they found out and offered to let me sleep on their couch, but seeing as how I had no idea how long I would be without work (at the time my only skills were what I learned in the Infantry) I pitched a tent in their backyard for 3 weeks.
Then I met a man who knew my family who I had not seen since I was a child and I told him about my situation and he found me a job with a friend of his in a warehouse. I worked 40-70 hour weeks. My grandma ended up buying me a camper trailer to live in and I moved to a campground with hook ups where I lived for a year.
Then I found a HUD home they were asking 50,000 and I talked them down to 20,000 plus an extra 5 for remodeling, found a contractor who I paid to let me use his license and did the work with a couple buddies. (thankfully, I had good credit.)
Here I am, 6 years later. I've been sober for 4 years, have my house paid off, own a landscaping company with all of my equipment paid off. Over the years I worked many odd construction jobs to stay afloat until now, I am a skilled carpenter and own a company.
Now what I have isn't much. My house is no better than a shack. My tools and equipment are all top notch though. My truck has 300,000 miles on it.
Point is: When you get out, don't take any damn drugs the VA wants to give you for PTSD. Drugs and alcohol ain't no good. In the real world, you can't drink and fight and not get into trouble.
The economy sucks, so don't feel bad if you don't do as well as you did in the army....just keep on marching.
And remember: you aren't in the military anymore.
Maybe none of that applies to y'all but y'all said some things that made me think back on the past several years.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh yeah...and Bjorn:
What you said about farming. This is why I started a landscape company. Now I have most of the tools I need to clear land with and what not. So on my two acres, now I am working on having a "mini farm" so to speak. I figured: Let me go take care of everyone elses land and that will give me the money I need to farm my own. Now I am about to build a greenhouse on my land too. Something to consider anyways.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:37 pm
Site Admin

On this point:

Quote:
Speaking of the Odin Brotherhood, the notion that the gods choose who is exceptional coupled with the OB choosing only those who are exceptional, the notion that the unworthy exclude themselves, and that the OB is self-initiatory creates a multi-level paradox that cannot be easily reconciled.

Because we live in a "Christian" culture, ideas about our role in the universe and our relationship with the gods sometimes becomes "muddled." Let me clarify.

Weaklings will not undergo the Sojourn. Technically, anyone can read our lore and initiate themselves, but weaklings will NOT do the Sojourn. It is too demanding.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:14 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
@Tyrsmen - I am interested in what you do for a "job"? Ini am interested in what you find your fullfillment?
I put this question to others also.

First, perhaps a little about my background will help answer your question. It may also be relevant to those of you who walk the military path. This is from a conversation from several years ago:
Tyrsman wrote:
I have also found myself in a quagmire of decreased motivation and an increasingly gloomy outlook. Mine was caused mainly by life change - I had left the military after 20 years of a career that I found extremely rewarding on a personal level. Leaving behind a fast paced, high risk, adventurous lifestyle with other warriors "at the tip of the spear" I transitioned to civilian job that I found devoid of most of the things I valued. When I began to notice that I was becoming increasingly moody and depressed - I was experiencing the same degradation of my sense of pride, honor and valor as you are describing. I was just going through the motions of a mundane daily existence. It didn't get better until I asked Odin to help me find insight as to the cause.

After more than a little self reflection I realized that I had come to identify more with *what* I was than with *who* I was. As a special forces medic I played a crucial role in my unit - not only did I have the warrior's skill set, I had the skills and abilities to help get my brothers home (I figured if I could still save them they weren't meant for Valhalla that day). As a senior non-commissioned officer I was a leader of warriors, responsible for instilling in them the same sense of pride and valor that beat in my heart.

When I walked away from that I felt like I walked away from everything I had become. I had become too focused on my role and circumstances, it had become more important than my sense of self. Recognizing the situation allowed be to re-focus and find my way out of the depression that was slowly engulfing me. I was still the same man, the same warrior with the same attributes. Yes I'm a little older, a little slower and don't recover from injury quite a quickly but I'm also wiser and have the benefit of experience. I have since come to pay more attention to the inner self than the company I keep or the job I do. One doesn't have to be immersed in a warrior culture to be a warrior - it's seems an obvious lesson but that's the way hindsight works.

I don't know where you are on your life's path, beginning, middle or nearing the end, but no matter what situation you find yourself in always remember that it is WHO you are that is important, the Gods judge us on how we behave in all of our battles not just combat. Facing an invisible enemy such as depression is often much more challenging than a human opponent and a victory in such a battle may have different rewards but it is a definite victory nonetheless.

Because of my military pension I am not hobbled by the need to seek the highest paying job I can get in order to provide for my family. Today I am fortunate enough to have been able to select a job that allows me to help people who cannot help themselves. I am able to fulfill what I have come to realize is a sacred calling to protect the weak and vulnerable.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:10 am

The sojourn excludes those who are not exceptional. The idea of exceptional is not unique to the Odin Brotherhood, and I suspect there are those who are exceptional among the ranks of many, and perhaps most, of the world's peoples. Following the logic, the sojourn exists for us to prove ourselves to ourselves, like a tool for teaching dasein. We should not, however, allow ourselves to view the sojourn as intrinsically supplemental to our ego. It bridges the gap between hope and knowledge, doubt and surety. The sojourn is imbued with the heilige. I describe the sojourn as like a tool, but bare in mind that Mjolnir is a tool, and a powerful tool in the hands of one who is exceptional. I believe that the sojourn, like Mjolnir, empowers the exceptional.

The thread began with an idea: recognition of the exceptional. To engage in the sojourn one must sense their own exceptionality, study, understand, and plan to test their exceptionality, and then physically merge the self with the ideal. One who has sojourned is empowered and is more likely to do something that will catch the eyes of those who know. There are qualities that we recognize as connected to exceptionality, and qualities that have no place with the exceptional. Arrogance does not sojourn. The sojourn strips away misgivings of hope, doubt, and ignorance. The exceptional among us have this way of blending in until they allow themselves to be seen. Like the heilige, the exceptional are unmistakable when witnessed by others and you can understand why no one in the Odin Brotherhood would ever identify themselves as such. Even still, a danger resides in assuming that the exceptional has only a single manifestation, a single identifiable trait. There is more than one God, and their exceptionalities span our cosmos. As their children some of us have inherited a glimmer of exceptionality, and some more. What matters, it seems, is not merely recognizing it but doing something with it: the mission of the exceptional.

The next question, then, concerns the role of the Odin Brotherhood. The answer belongs elsewhere, but before I close I want to point out that the path to the Odin Brotherhood neither begins nor ends with the sojourn. The path to the Gods even less so. There is so much more to all of it. I hope that I will learn more and I wish you the best as well.
r

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]