View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
The Gods are MALE. The Goddesses are FEMALE. 
Site Admin

We avoid faddish issues here, but this interesting message was sent. It refers to a self-published work that we in no way endorse.

Quote:
Hello OB!
I am an uninitiated Odinist who looks for other Odinists to learn more from them. I also need answers because after reading a particular book I feel like parts of my spirit were sucked out of my body. After I had a sign from Odin in real life my determination and willpower was as strong as ever and still is, however, it feels like something is missing and the book is responsible for that.

I am talking about "Odins Way in the Modern World" which basically says that Odin is the god of "Transgendering practices" and that he embraces the feminine and was surrounded by it all his life which basically destroyed how I imagined Odin before. I can't help but think of him as a... well, you know what I mean and now I feel like the gods have left me, it is very hard to describe how it feels.

I practice the 9 noble virtues on a daily basis, wear my Mjölnar and I need to know more about Odinism to become stronger, smarter and richer.

I consider myself elite, just like every other Odinist.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
We avoid faddish issues here, but this interesting message was sent. It refers to a self-published work that we in no way endorse.

Quote:
Hello OB!
I am an uninitiated Odinist who looks for other Odinists to learn more from them. I also need answers because after reading a particular book I feel like parts of my spirit were sucked out of my body. After I had a sign from Odin in real life my determination and willpower was as strong as ever and still is, however, it feels like something is missing and the book is responsible for that.

I am talking about "Odins Way in the Modern World" which basically says that Odin is the god of "Transgendering practices" and that he embraces the feminine and was surrounded by it all his life which basically destroyed how I imagined Odin before. I can't help but think of him as a... well, you know what I mean and now I feel like the gods have left me, it is very hard to describe how it feels.

I practice the 9 noble virtues on a daily basis, wear my Mjölnar and I need to know more about Odinism to become stronger, smarter and richer.

I consider myself elite, just like every other Odinist.

Hm. I can say that 2+2=5, too. That doesn't make it so. I know of zero support for this claim in any text of any antiquity. The only thing I can think of remotely along these lines was that Thor once donned gown and veil as a tactical ruse. Claiming this involves "transgender practice" is absurd. It is a bit like saying a duck hunter who uses a duck call ceases to me a man and is a "transpecies wildfowl."

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am

Especially considering that there are examples in the texts where this is actually a source of derision among the gods. The same can be said about ergi and related themes. I actually found a good essay on this topic a few years ago, I will see if I can dig it up in my archives. I will soon be making a larger post on a related topic that I have been considering writing for a while.

SM

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 am

In the Lokasenna Loki accuses Odin of being effeminate on the basis that he once took the form of a Vala and pretended to be one.

I think if there were greater examples of Odin being effeminate, Loki would have brought one of those up instead. Note that the term "effeminate" was used as an insult in this case, implying that the gods considered it shameful for a man to be "effeminate".

Loki, of course, chaotic being that he is, had apparently transformed into a woman on some occasion and born children. (And Sleipnir is his offspring from transforming into a mare and mating with a giant's magical horse.)

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am
Site Admin

Sadly, university professors, in their so-called "academic articles," are spreading these odd notions.

In sum, their argument is this: Siberian shamans cross dress and their anuses are sodomized by the entities that they summon. Odin has shamanistic traits. Therefore, Odin cross dresses and is gay.

The logic, of course, is ridiculous, and the conclusion is moronic.

Odinism is not the only target of foolish academics. A few years ago, an American "scholar" claimed that the "72 virgins" promised to the faithful in the Koran is a mistranslation. He said the Koran promises 72 "raisins."

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:32 am

Quote:
A few years ago, an American "scholar" claimed that the "72 virgins" promised to the faithful in the Koran is a mistranslation. He said the Koran promises 72 "raisins."

Haha! I'm just picturing the look of disappointment on a jihadist's face when he goes into paradise looking for his promised virgins and gets a handful of dried raisins instead!

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Great points. Alföðr is a powerful and wise leader and unpredictable as well. All the same, I do not read any such odd notions in the literature and I have trouble believing them. I was reading the research of Diarmaid MacCulloch who makes a convincing argument that prior to 1690 perceived effeminacy in men was typically associated with a high heterosexual drive. This inverts the research of a lot of the popular so-called academics.

r

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:09 am

RedSon wrote:
Great points. Alföðr is a powerful and wise leader and unpredictable as well. All the same, I do not read any such odd notions in the literature and I have trouble believing them. I was reading the research of Diarmaid MacCulloch who makes a convincing argument that prior to 1690 perceived effeminacy in men was typically associated with a high heterosexual drive. This inverts the research of a lot of the popular so-called academics.

r

Which do you mean? Academics are rarely "popular." MacCulloch sounds like one more agenda-driven individual who can "discover" whatever he needs to in old texts. To a man with one tool, everything looks like a nail.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
RedSon wrote:

r

Which do you mean? Academics are rarely "popular." MacCulloch sounds like one more agenda-driven individual who can "discover" whatever he needs to in old texts. To a man with one tool, everything looks like a nail.

In my line of work there is an understood distinction between "popular" academics and "knowledgeable" academics. The former are simplicity-minded (they make complicated ideas accessible to the rest of the world) and are more commonly read by the general population, while the latter debate complicated ideas and their minutiae while seldom drawing absolute conclusions. MacCulloch is part of the latter category.

I'm not sure what it is about his assertion that effeminacy in men was associated with heterosexuality that concerns you. Perhaps you think that masculinity was therefore the opposite? Nothing could be further from the truth. This assertion implies that heterosexuality was the standard and superficial behaviors do not have a one-to-one correlation to alternative orientations. In other words, it is foolish to make assertions about the sexuality of the Gods or to imply alternative genders in the Gods based on our current theoretical paradigms using inductive reasoning.

Also, "to the man with a hammer everything looks like a nail" is an interesting quote when you consider the number of Thor's wo/men on this forum.
Cheers,
r

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm

"Special interest groups", whether they be based on social or religious grounds, will always try to subvert other groups to promote their own agenda. The Catholic church was especially adept at this during the conversion of the Northern countries and social and political groups today are no different. Recognizing when their lies and twisting of history are being employed is a key factor in countering it. Once you recognize it, it is much easier to discern those who have bought into the drivel or are of like mind.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 am

I've seen this tactic used in other places. It's a kind of "baiting".

Take an icon that is important to a group of people, incorrectly associate it with a group or idea that is considered "persecuted" or otherwise untouchable in the public consciousness. And then if the people to whom that icon is important make any objection, the argument is made that they must have a problem with the "persecuted" or untouchable idea.

So, some scholar could argue that Odin was in fact, a cut puppy. And if Odinists were to object to this characterization, the scholar then makes the argument the reason for the objection must be because they have a problem with cute puppies. (It couldn't be due to any inaccuracy in the comparison because, after all, he is a scholar, and is therefore neverwrong about technical details.)

And what kind of person would have a problem with cute puppies?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 pm
Site Admin

This does not directly concern us, but it shows how gender issues have spread. It is from Breitbart.com

Quote:
An elite liberal arts college is offering a class called “Queering the Bible” for the 2018 fall semester, in which it promises to “destabilize long held assumptions” about what the Bible says about gender.

According to the course description published in the Swarthmore College Catalog, the course will survey “queer and trans* readings of biblical texts,” while introducing students to “the complexity of constructions of sex, gender, and identity in one of the most influential literary works produced in ancient times.”

The one-credit course, taught by Dr. Gwynn Kessler, who has a PhD in Rabbinics from Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City, promises to employ “the methods of queer and trans* theoretical approaches” to Bible reading, by which it will destabilize “long held assumptions about what the bible—and religion—says about gender and sexuality.”

Dr. Kessler says that her work “is situated within, and suffused with, postmodern, feminist, and queer theoretical approaches.”

On announcing the hiring of Dr. Kessler in 2009, Swarthmore said she would teach courses “on GLBTQ Jews and Judaism” and “a seminar on biblical and rabbinic constructions of God’s gender.”

Kessler’s marriage to Tamara Ruth Cohen in 2004 merited an announcement in the New York Times section on weddings and celebrations.

Along with “Queering the Bible,” Swarthmore’s religion department also offers “Queering God: Feminist and Queer Theology,” a course that “examines feminist and queer writings about God, explores the tensions between feminist and queer theology, and seeks to stretch the limits of gendering-and sexing-the divine.”

“If we can point out places in traditional writings where God is nurturing, forgiving, and loving,” the course description asks, “does that mean that God is feminine, or female?”

The Quaker-founded Swarthmore College, located outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, consistently receives top rankings across many indicators of excellence, according to the ever-attentive writers at The College Fix.

According to U.S. News and World Report, tuition and fees at Swarthmore run to $50,822 per year and only 13 percent of applicants are accepted.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
This does not directly concern us, but it shows how gender issues have spread. It is from Breitbart.com

Quote:
An elite liberal arts college is offering a class called “Queering the Bible” for the 2018 fall semester, in which it promises to “destabilize long held assumptions” about what the Bible says about gender.

According to the course description published in the Swarthmore College Catalog, the course will survey “queer and trans* readings of biblical texts,” while introducing students to “the complexity of constructions of sex, gender, and identity in one of the most influential literary works produced in ancient times.”

The one-credit course, taught by Dr. Gwynn Kessler, who has a PhD in Rabbinics from Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City, promises to employ “the methods of queer and trans* theoretical approaches” to Bible reading, by which it will destabilize “long held assumptions about what the bible—and religion—says about gender and sexuality.”

Dr. Kessler says that her work “is situated within, and suffused with, postmodern, feminist, and queer theoretical approaches.”

On announcing the hiring of Dr. Kessler in 2009, Swarthmore said she would teach courses “on GLBTQ Jews and Judaism” and “a seminar on biblical and rabbinic constructions of God’s gender.”

Kessler’s marriage to Tamara Ruth Cohen in 2004 merited an announcement in the New York Times section on weddings and celebrations.

Along with “Queering the Bible,” Swarthmore’s religion department also offers “Queering God: Feminist and Queer Theology,” a course that “examines feminist and queer writings about God, explores the tensions between feminist and queer theology, and seeks to stretch the limits of gendering-and sexing-the divine.”

“If we can point out places in traditional writings where God is nurturing, forgiving, and loving,” the course description asks, “does that mean that God is feminine, or female?”

The Quaker-founded Swarthmore College, located outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, consistently receives top rankings across many indicators of excellence, according to the ever-attentive writers at The College Fix.

According to U.S. News and World Report, tuition and fees at Swarthmore run to $50,822 per year and only 13 percent of applicants are accepted.

I had a good laugh at this. Social Justice ideology is unravelling the knots that bind a sane mind together, eventually there will be nothng left. In a way it is proof that we are in the "Third Age" where diseases of the mind and imagination inflict wounds upon a person. A different form of natural selection.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

I think these people seek to destroy belief systems because they see them as a weapon. They believe weapons to be the source of all conflict, and they desire to be free from conflict. So they try to destroy all the weapons.

They pass laws to remove all fire arms from the public. They pretty much try to get rid of any tool that can be used for any kind of harm.

This includes men of valor, because these men are seen as human weapons.

Their intentions are good, in a horribly naive, childish sort of way. Trying to create something that simply cannot exist, and ultimately failing. Creating circumstances which eventually allow the truly honorless to wage war against the weak and vulnerable, and to do so unopposed.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:53 am

8-j wrote:
I think these people seek to destroy belief systems because they see them as a weapon. They believe weapons to be the source of all conflict, and they desire to be free from conflict. So they try to destroy all the weapons.

They pass laws to remove all fire arms from the public. They pretty much try to get rid of any tool that can be used for any kind of harm.

This includes men of valor, because these men are seen as human weapons.

Their intentions are good, in a horribly naive, childish sort of way. Trying to create something that simply cannot exist, and ultimately failing. Creating circumstances which eventually allow the truly honorless to wage war against the weak and vulnerable, and to do so unopposed.

I think there is also a certain amount of fear behind their efforts. They know that they are weak but rather than take efforts to grow stronger they want to drag everybody else down to their level. They are a group of people who have been conditioned to avoid conflict. Whether this is by intention or just a by-product of a particular way of thinking is debatable, but you can see it in the "safe zone" mentality that is rampant in today's society. People profess mental anguish at the mere concept of an opposing viewpoint. They have a double standard that is very nearly comical - they feel free to voice their opinion, often in vile terms and almost always from the safety of a computer screen or when in superior numbers, but when confronted with contrary opinion they avoid rational discourse and instead mount an ad homniem attack based on their stereotypical view of the individual.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]