View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Werewolves 

I'm posting about this because of a sudden obsession i've had with Werewolves, and I was wondering about anyone else's experiences with these fascinating creatures and their place in the sagas and Eddas. Please share any knowledge you have.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 am

Man wolves, have a few mentions in lore, but more in relation to wearing of skins (Ulfhednar).volsunga saga 5 and 8. There are older references by works like Herodot and Pliny the Elder, but getting back to our own Northern European works Buchard of Worms records his views in his 20 books on Canon Law. Later Olaus Magnus Magnus in his book History of the Northern Peoples Peoples 1555. Tacitus makes comment to them in Germania.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 am

It does! Thank you. I'll look into these when I have some free time.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 am

From what I understand, animal shape shifting is a meditative, shamanic practice, usually in an effort to shape shift the soul to embody the characteristics of a particular animal spirit. In a Germanic context, Proto-Germanic wise-men may have visualized transformations into wolves to embody team work and social cooperation in fighting, or maybe a raven to enhance characteristics of knowledge or resourcefulness.

I also think it's fun to "journey" around as a werewolf lol.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:06 am

I believe to go berserk is something to that effect. From what I've read, it has to do with becoming like the animal as a means of becoming ferocious in battle and striking fear into one's enemies.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Hexenwulves are the native cryptids of our region of the Appalachians. The German Braucherei and Hexerei polytheistic peoples of this region describe man-beasts as under the care of local God-hero Einweicher Yeager who is said to be the local God of the Hunt, sort of like a local Cernunnos but German.

To the Hexerei- to see them is to have Yeager's blessing and Odin's eye upon you.
To the Braucherei- they were an ill omen.

I was taught "Hexerei" were the Pa Dutch who kept to the old Gods.
The Braucherei used Christian terms but kept to the old traditions.

All of this falls under Pow-wow and/or modern Urglaawe per definition...but it's still confusing as everyone seems to define our terms differently.

Now- Seeing other public Pa Dutch/Deitsch people in the spotlight- everything is muddy in that knowledge. It seems each family in this region has their own story.
We are basically polytheistic, indigenous people that Asatru hardly acknowledges.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:07 am

Defiant wrote:
Man wolves, have a few mentions in lore, but more in relation to wearing of skins (Ulfhednar).volsunga saga 5 and 8. There are older references by works like Herodot and Pliny the Elder, but getting back to our own Northern European works Buchard of Worms records his views in his 20 books on Canon Law. Later Olaus Magnus Magnus in his book History of the Northern Peoples Peoples 1555. Tacitus makes comment to them in Germania.

Hope this helps.

Here are some Icelandic texts that might also be useful:

Hrafnsmál
Hrólfr's saga Kraki
Ála flekks saga
Úlfhams saga
Jóns saga leikara
Tiodielis saga

Happy reading (and good luck with translations) - 4 years late.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]