View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Police and other Justice Bringers 

Funny, I can think of at least 2 groups we cannot criticize currently in the US. One owns our banks, the other owns the oil we needlessly purchase when our own reserves are superior...

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:23 am

Tyrienne wrote:
Funny, I can think of at least 2 groups we cannot criticize currently in the US. One owns our banks, the other owns the oil we needlessly purchase when our own reserves are superior...

Hmmm... Well, there's no need to mention who owns the banks. That's obvious. The ones who own the oil, must be Saudis, because you can criticize Muslims to a point, but the one and only Muslim nation the US doesn't mess with are the Saudis.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Fjolnir wrote:
A man I respect has said that in his eyes the police are no longer the good guys. "They have in many cases become the thugs enforcing the will of the corrupt; of the corporate cartels.."

My friend's words might have been seen as absurd twenty years ago but now...now they have a much more authentic ring to them.

The late David Lane had a number of flaws. Still, he was spot on when he said it was time to put aside illusions about the police. "They are mercenaries." No mercenary is better than his master. Our masters today are people like Soros, the EU, Wall Street. Do you trust them? Then do not trust the police.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
Fjolnir wrote:
A man I respect has said that in his eyes the police are no longer the good guys. "They have in many cases become the thugs enforcing the will of the corrupt; of the corporate cartels.."

My friend's words might have been seen as absurd twenty years ago but now...now they have a much more authentic ring to them.

The late David Lane had a number of flaws. Still, he was spot on when he said it was time to put aside illusions about the police. "They are mercenaries." No mercenary is better than his master. Our masters today are people like Soros, the EU, Wall Street. Do you trust them? Then do not trust the police.

Well said.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
Fjolnir wrote:

Well said.

Seconded

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 pm

The defenders of the police often say, "The police are only human." This is true. Unfortunately, health insurance, a regular job, and a retirement pension are all powerful inducements for a human to go against his own better judgment. I think of the times I've bit my tongue and let a corner be cut in my own routine job. I don't fool myself: after a few years of that as a cop, it gets easier and easier to let bigger corners be cut. Especially with the adulation from some quarters; the tendency of the American political right to get down on its knees and turn "cop-sucker."

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 am

It's not as though the human being who is a police officer is any more wicked than anyone else. It is the policies the man serves which are deplorable, and those who make those policies. The cop is just a tool, not the real enemy. But it would be a foolish thing to put one's faith in those cops for reasons already so accurately stated. Treat them with the same courtesy you would any other human being, but never forget whom they serve.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am

Fjolnir wrote:

Dogs protect those who feed them

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 pm

So... should we just feed the dogs ourselves?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

Fand wrote:
So... should we just feed the dogs ourselves?

The wakeful need no watchdogs.

I tend to favor community policing, with unarmed experts on retainer to do detective work.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:21 am

The police rarely get called on my road. We have neighborhood watch signs that actually mean something. A couple years ago we had someone looking like they were casing out houses and me and the old men were standing there talking about it and one of the old men looked at me and said, "SOMEONE ought to go and follow that guy and see where he lives in case anything comes up missing!" ...so I did. I do things like that. We dont trust the cops either. The cops were at my neighbors house the other day about something that had nothing to do with him and my dog woke me up at 0230 barking, so I went up there with my shotgun and stood in a shadow while one knocked on his door and the other hid behind a bush with his gun...good thing they didn't **** with my neighbor.
We started doing that after someone broke in several of our houses and stole a lot of stuff. When the police were called, they didn't even investigate. We told them to take finger prints and their reply was, "Oh they just do that in the movies!" Now we tell each other if we are going to be gone for a few days. All of the folks around here will tell someone to beat feet quick if we know they don't belong.
In this day and age HONOR is not synonymous with LAW.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

BigCountry wrote:
The police rarely get called on my road. We have neighborhood watch signs that actually mean something. A couple years ago we had someone looking like they were casing out houses and me and the old men were standing there talking about it and one of the old men looked at me and said, "SOMEONE ought to go and follow that guy and see where he lives in case anything comes up missing!" ...so I did. I do things like that. We dont trust the cops either. The cops were at my neighbors house the other day about something that had nothing to do with him and my dog woke me up at 0230 barking, so I went up there with my shotgun and stood in a shadow while one knocked on his door and the other hid behind a bush with his gun...good thing they didn't **** with my neighbor.
We started doing that after someone broke in several of our houses and stole a lot of stuff. When the police were called, they didn't even investigate. We told them to take finger prints and their reply was, "Oh they just do that in the movies!" Now we tell each other if we are going to be gone for a few days. All of the folks around here will tell someone to beat feet quick if we know they don't belong.
In this day and age HONOR is not synonymous with LAW.

Good to see you and yours have some *****. We had a spate of burglaries/robberies where I live last summer. The police here exist to say, "There's nothing we can do." We tried to organize a posse to patrol at nights in shifts. Out of about fifty guys asked, we got seven takers, five men and two women. My Chinese wife made a few enemies pointing out to the reluctant that their attitude is what let the Japanese almost win the war here despite being ten-times outnumbered. In the end, the only regulars were a PLA veteran about my age, a younger guy between jobs, my wife, me, and my Border Collie. No thieves caught; activity did drop off.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:36 pm

When I was a kid, my grandparents neighborhood was a pretty close knit community. There was no official community watch, but there didn't need to be. That's just how the old folk were down south. They looked after each other. Despite being on just the other side of the highway from the ghetto, crime was almost unheard of, and it was a quiet and safe neighborhood. Of course, most of the households had guns, even if it was just a pistol. It was sad to see all that change as the old folk started to die off and their children move away in favor of modern housing developments. What used to be working middle class neighborhood started to get more and more residents who were just kind of trashy, and became something of an extension of the ghetto. I expect in another decade or so, it will be unrecognizable.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 am

Fand wrote:
When I was a kid, my grandparents neighborhood was a pretty close knit community. There was no official community watch, but there didn't need to be. That's just how the old folk were down south. They looked after each other. Despite being on just the other side of the highway from the ghetto, crime was almost unheard of, and it was a quiet and safe neighborhood. Of course, most of the households had guns, even if it was just a pistol. It was sad to see all that change as the old folk started to die off and their children move away in favor of modern housing developments. What used to be working middle class neighborhood started to get more and more residents who were just kind of trashy, and became something of an extension of the ghetto. I expect in another decade or so, it will be unrecognizable.

I recall when I was in Texas. About 1984, some guy grabbed a girl's wrist on campus and looked to be trying to get her into his car. I started running that way. Before I could cover the fifteen or so meters, three other guys had the situation well in hand and under boots. I imagine if that happened today, they'd be suspended for "macroaggression."

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 am

I don't doubt it. In the past, despite being a little rough around the edges, southern men used to be more courteous, at least to women. In recent years, I haven't seen much of the south except Florida, and that has earned the nick name "Little California". But briefly passing through southern states as we drove across country, it seems all hope is not lost. I love how kind, warm and friendly the people are in places like Tennessee. Beautiful country, too.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:52 am

Fand wrote:
I don't doubt it. In the past, despite being a little rough around the edges, southern men used to be more courteous, at least to women. In recent years, I haven't seen much of the south except Florida, and that has earned the nick name "Little California". But briefly passing through southern states as we drove across country, it seems all hope is not lost. I love how kind, warm and friendly the people are in places like Tennessee. Beautiful country, too.

I found that when I lived in Johnson City, TN. A bit more Evangelical than I hold with, but their take on Christianity cultivates some of the less genetl virtues as well. Louisiana was a bit surreal at times. I knew a guy who was mugged. The police asked HIM "What were you doing outside after dark?"

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 am

Fand wrote:

I found that when I lived in Johnson City, TN. A bit more Evangelical than I hold with, but their take on Christianity cultivates some of the less genetl virtues as well. Louisiana was a bit surreal at times. I knew a guy who was mugged. The police asked HIM "What were you doing outside after dark?"

Ya, the religious fundamentalism would be a downer, but considering that in my experience I've always been surrounded by Christians or hedonists, it hardly matters. It's not like I've ever found a community of like minded individuals, so may as well make the best of things.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Fand wrote:
Fand wrote:

Ya, the religious fundamentalism would be a downer, but considering that in my experience I've always been surrounded by Christians or hedonists, it hardly matters. It's not like I've ever found a community of like minded individuals, so may as well make the best of things.

I said "a bit" more Evangelical than I like. They were well within this side of bearable. A lot of Christians in the South tend to bear out what I've said for years about European culture generally: we were incompletely Christianized. Thus you find the hard, old virtues practiced by people who say they follow Christ. It's not hypocrisy. It that they have one value systen in the brain and on the tongue. The other and older is in the heart and hands.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Wotan's Late Harvest said:
Quote:
I said "a bit" more Evangelical than I like. They were well within this side of bearable. A lot of Christians in the South tend to bear out what I've said for years about European culture generally: we were incompletely Christianized. Thus you find the hard, old virtues practiced by people who say they follow Christ. It's not hypocrisy. It that they have one value systen in the brain and on the tongue. The other and older is in the heart and hands.

This is really interesting, and not a concept I've seen many tackle. I always thought that the Southerners were the most fanatical Christians, but maybe that's just the result of these two value systems clashing internally.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 pm
Site Admin

Just some historical points: in ancient Athens, a slave force was used as a police force.

Among the Vikings, there were no police. Families and kin enforced justice.

In America, there were NO police until the 19th century. To maintain law in the towns, men were obliged to walk the "watch" so many days each year. If they witnessed a crime, they "raised the hue and cry," and this obliged all able body men to run out and pursue the criminal.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next