View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Heimdalls food 

Why is Heimdalls food bread and ice? I know there is a lesson in that, but I don't understand.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Just my own opinion here - but I believe that this refers to ones' communing with the primal forces of nature here.
Ice is a very primordial thing - out of Ginnungigap we have fire and ice colliding. Think of sacred Audhumla and the salt and ice she sustained herself with; reflect upon the body of Ymir.

Bread is a staple food of many. It is made of ingredients from the sacred Earth and, kissed by the fire of the hearth it is melded together. Grain and bread are also seen by some as fertility symbols - that which emerges from the Earth is transformed by fire and made into food.

Where I fared, wearing the white robe, there was ice all around me in the high country, though I subsisted mainly on clean, fresh water and coarse black bread.

A free-thinking man with fire in his heart will follow his instincts in these matters. The Brotherhood seeks not persons from the milling herd but rather, captains of their own destiny.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Captains of their own destiny. I like that. it reminds me of my favorite poem "Invictus".
What you said is along the lines of what I was thinking/writing last night. A lot of times when I am pondering on something like this, I write down all the thoughts that came to my head.
Things you said resonated with me.
On the topic of fire and ice/Ginungagap: I got to thinking about how living things need (most basically) air, water, and food to survive. Fire needs air and food to survive. Water kills fire. It can put the fire out and turn the wood into coals. Fire, like everything else, does not die. It turns to coals, and to ash, into soil. From the soil another tree springs up for wood. H2O has it's own cycle. The fire can turn ice into steam and water, but it too never dies.
The bread is made of the earth and water. Cooked by the fire which draws the moisture out until it is a solid consistency.
Not that my thoughts really made me come to a conclusion. They just made me think more, but what you said helped me Fjolnir. Thank you. I never thought of it as "communing with the primal forces of nature".

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 pm

The primal forces of nature are the best teachers.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:31 am

From birth comes life comes death comes rebirth. It is the Great Circle. As it is with the Sojourn. Storm

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:30 am

As Norse Storm Dragon suggests, the Sojourn is indeed a model for the birth/life/death cycle. The Sojourn was described to me as
a form of death and indeed it was (and is). One goes into it as one was, and then is transformed through the ritual into something greater.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:16 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Captains of their own destiny. I like that. it reminds me of my favorite poem "Invictus".
What you said is along the lines of what I was thinking/writing last night. A lot of times when I am pondering on something like this, I write down all the thoughts that came to my head.
Things you said resonated with me.
On the topic of fire and ice/Ginungagap: I got to thinking about how living things need (most basically) air, water, and food to survive. Fire needs air and food to survive. Water kills fire. It can put the fire out and turn the wood into coals. Fire, like everything else, does not die. It turns to coals, and to ash, into soil. From the soil another tree springs up for wood. H2O has it's own cycle. The fire can turn ice into steam and water, but it too never dies.
The bread is made of the earth and water. Cooked by the fire which draws the moisture out until it is a solid consistency.
Not that my thoughts really made me come to a conclusion. They just made me think more, but what you said helped me Fjolnir. Thank you. I never thought of it as "communing with the primal forces of nature".

I've been contemplating the reason for bread for a while and I like your reasoning. Fire as an ingredient is within the bread after it is cooked.

Also someone else on this forum a while ago reasoned the soujorn is akin to Odin upon the Yydrassil and the mark-of-joy are akin to the wounds Odin sustained from his spear. Wearing a shroud of white (worn by the dead) you are reborn new.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Bread and ice seems delicious.

What holiness is there in such fast?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:04 am

BaleyG: interesting way to put it.
I have read several books on fasting for health and spirituality. I have done it several times.
I have been thinking about one that I read written by a Christian. He wrote about "King stomach" and how you have to "dethrone king stomach". It talks a lot about discipline.
It is definately something I could use more of right now. Even though the 9 noble virtues are a fairly new concept, it is a great set of virtues -discipline being one.

What is your definition of holiness BaileyG?

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
BaleyG: interesting way to put it.
I have read several books on fasting for health and spirituality. I have done it several times.
I have been thinking about one that I read written by a Christian. He wrote about "King stomach" and how you have to "dethrone king stomach". It talks a lot about discipline.
It is definately something I could use more of right now. Even though the 9 noble virtues are a fairly new concept, it is a great set of virtues -discipline being one.

What is your definition of holiness BaileyG?

I have struggled long to understand what is right and what is wrong and the many realms between.

There are few laws that seem obvious and tested by time. They are simply,

I can only watch how humans live and how animals live and how differently each individual may be.

Such thoughts believe me to be wary of discipline, which ultimately may dethrone my wandering path. Certainly I cannot deny the useful employment of little disciplines - but I also strongly disagree with an over-usage of anything.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:21 am

Okay guys I'm going to pitch a theory here about why bread is one of the foods of Heimdall. Heimdall his name meaning "great world" was nourished at first by the primordial ice (the dead from the last cosmos) but what is bread but water and flour? After reading a few outdoors books is realized that pretty much anything can be ground into a flour and made into some sort of bread. I was then reading. "Vril, the power of the coming race."
and in the novel the super terrestrial beings cremate all their dead and speak these words over the ashes.

"Behold how great is the Maker! To this little dust He gave form and life and soul."

In essence dust/ash/flour can be added to anything to create anything new with enough power...or the power of the Divine. To only consume these primordial items is to symbolically start over so we can be created a new from our former selves!! The same as the old world nourish the new world so will your old self nourish your new self. Such a brilliant metaphor!!

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Norse Storm wrote:
From birth comes life comes death comes rebirth. It is the Great Circle. As it is with the Sojourn. Storm

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:17 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
Okay guys I'm going to pitch a theory here about why bread is one of the foods of Heimdall. Heimdall his name meaning "great world" was nourished at first by the primordial ice (the dead from the last cosmos) but what is bread but water and flour? After reading a few outdoors books is realized that pretty much anything can be ground into a flour and made into some sort of bread. I was then reading. "Vril, the power of the coming race."
and in the novel the super terrestrial beings cremate all their dead and speak these words over the ashes.

"Behold how great is the Maker! To this little dust He gave form and life and soul."

In essence dust/ash/flour can be added to anything to create anything new with enough power...or the power of the Divine. To only consume these primordial items is to symbolically start over so we can be created a new from our former selves!! The same as the old world nourish the new world so will your old self nourish your new self. Such a brilliant metaphor!!

Interesting perspective. Divining is linked to weaving.

Creation is linked to baking bread, the metaphors certainly develop for me. You could say my mind has been leavened and and allowed to rise with a new perspective.

Thank you for your insight.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Bread and (frozen) water are basic food.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]