View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
First Time Examining & Studying Runes 

I carefully and thoughtfully took the rune tokens out of the bag.

I set aside those that seemed to have meaning to me, and were important.

I ended up with a pattern like this below:

Thurisaz

Sowilo Ansuz Isa Uruz Laguz Jera

Thurisaz seems to be of immediate importance?

Followed by studying the next line.

This is very new for me. What do I have here?

I thought at the start that I chose these particular runes because they were very simple
designs, but just explaining it away like that doesn't feel right.
I will continue to study, and read.

Comments?

Thanks.

Fri May 06, 2016 4:44 am

Traditionally divination is kind of felt and the more you learn the runes the more you allow yourself to feel. The power does not lie in the rune itself, but the connection to the caster. It's hard to describe but generally speaking divination is a personal thing, which cannot easily be

Every rune possess a meaning and it is best to study their properties before one experiments with casting them. The uses of divination are limited and strictly un-recreational. Without proper cause divination may be impossible - leaving you staring at engravings.

With proper state of mind it is not impossible for divination to be preformed by any means. Meditation can be seen as divination without tools. Some people find divination impossible. I find it so easy that I am constantly filled with things I wish I would rather have not guessed.

But for us the runes are meant to symbolize something greater, each having their own purpose and meaning. It was meant for you to discover their meaning and by your interpretation, divination then may be possible.

Sun May 08, 2016 2:17 am

Baleyg thank you for your thoughts.

I can appreciate all that you said. I am at something of a crossroads right now, and need the insights
of the great ones.

Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 am

I have always believed in life there is no wrong path, and while I have spent much time in my youth begging from the beyond for change in this chapter in my life I am of a different believe. Many teachings encourage self reliance and by stretching our limbs and forging our own path we are empowered by the unknown. I personally feel like what lies beyond is best a passing fancy and I do encourage all to take the drivers seat of their own life and allow all else to sit passenger. This is my way.

Sun May 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Further pondering has led to some more insights.

I looked at the selection of Runes already mentioned as a Formula, problem solving tool.

From left to right, this is how it appeared:

1) Want to develop the attributes of Thurisaz (e.g. Prowess, Empowerment, Active Defense and Breaking Resistance). How?
v
v
v
2) Need Sowilo (Guidance, Goal Setting, Success)

+

3) Jera (Patience, Timing, Harmony)

+

4) Isa (Focus, Image Consciousness, Self Identification)

= Thus , study, practice & master 2,3 & 4 To Tap into and enjoy the following:

5) Uruz (Determination, Courage, Persistence)
&
6) Laguz (Dreams, Emotional management, Unconscious Mind development)
&
7) Ansuz (Inspiration, Mental Stability, Communion with Spiritual Matters).

(I came to refer to the 5,6 & 7 above as the Tri-Tip of the Spear, for some reason).

The way I drew this out as a flow chart seemed really natural. I may add an image of it later).

Fascinating, just wanted to share it.

Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 am

Viggen wrote:
Further pondering has led to some more insights.

I looked at the selection of Runes already mentioned as a Formula, problem solving tool.

From left to right, this is how it appeared:

1) Want to develop the attributes of Thurisaz (e.g. Prowess, Empowerment, Active Defense and Breaking Resistance). How?
v
v
v
2) Need Sowilo (Guidance, Goal Setting, Success)

+

3) Jera (Patience, Timing, Harmony)

+

4) Isa (Focus, Image Consciousness, Self Identification)

= Thus , study, practice & master 2,3 & 4 To Tap into and enjoy the following:

5) Uruz (Determination, Courage, Persistence)
&
6) Laguz (Dreams, Emotional management, Unconscious Mind development)
&
7) Ansuz (Inspiration, Mental Stability, Communion with Spiritual Matters).

(I came to refer to the 5,6 & 7 above as the Tri-Tip of the Spear, for some reason).

The way I drew this out as a flow chart seemed really natural. I may add an image of it later).

Fascinating, just wanted to share it.

That is a very interesting way you went about reading the runes. Thank you for sharing. I am also not very experienced and knowledgeable in the runes or ogham and I often feel like I don't know how to go about it. I think I'm trying too hard to follow rules, to force the runes or ogham to fit a certain layout, which is holding me back. But reading your post has been insightful. Thank you.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Fand the runes speak to each individually and it is almost impossible to share results except for whom the divination was meant for. I don't know that anyone realizes the original power of the runes anymore, only that our modern language has evolved from it.

Our father's fathers' fathers placed great faith in these symbols and used them to find meaning in the chaotic life we live in. I suppose the principle is that much like in computing there is nothing "random" so if we observe random change being generated with an open mind and much practice and "feeling" we can assume certain things based on the personalities of the runes given to us. There is no right or wrong way that I have discovered by ritual, except in the approach of your mind. Our father's fathers' fathers would do just about anything to divine, including breaking tree boughs and listening to bird flights and horse stamps. Maybe we are listening to the binary code the world is created with, which finds it impossible to actually create "random." I wouldn't say that it is a skill only certain individuals can begin to practice, but I will say I have been called many things for my practice and I still consider myself having only the faintest glimpse of what the truth might be.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Baleyg wrote:
Fand the runes speak to each individually and it is almost impossible to share results except for whom the divination was meant for. I don't know that anyone realizes the original power of the runes anymore, only that our modern language has evolved from it.

Our father's fathers' fathers placed great faith in these symbols and used them to find meaning in the chaotic life we live in. I suppose the principle is that much like in computing there is nothing "random" so if we observe random change being generated with an open mind and much practice and "feeling" we can assume certain things based on the personalities of the runes given to us. There is no right or wrong way that I have discovered by ritual, except in the approach of your mind. Our father's fathers' fathers would do just about anything to divine, including breaking tree boughs and listening to bird flights and horse stamps. Maybe we are listening to the binary code the world is created with, which finds it impossible to actually create "random." I wouldn't say that it is a skill only certain individuals can begin to practice, but I will say I have been called many things for my practice and I still consider myself having only the faintest glimpse of what the truth might be.

What I meant by my previous comment is that is insightful to me how he went about reading the runes in his own way, trusting instincts. In the past I've tried going by set layouts, and the rigidness of that method feels too constricting, trio limited to me. But I understand what you mean.
Usually, my inution works best through dreams, or sometimes a gut feeling when awake trying to get my attention. I tend to pay attention to my dreams, but I have more difficulty when it is a vibe or feeling I get when awake, and often won't understand what the vibe meant until after whatever incident occurs. Perhaps I should try using the runes when I have those intuitive moments that I don't fully understand.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Baleyg touched on a good point when speaking of our ancestors also looking to nature for signs of events or guideposts. I was taught from a very young age each day to watch the trees, the birds, the sky and the ocean as well as the way the earth 'feels' - sight, touch and smell - as to what the day will hold. I still do it constantly as the earth moves. From my pov, I would say to consult the Runes when at a crossroads or when seeking direction. They won't tell you what to do as they are subjective and each decision you make will change your path. If you dream vividly then use what you have dreamt with what the Runes advise you in order to make your decision. They will not 'tell' you what to do, that decision can only be made by you. They can 'aid' your decision by pointing you in a direction or giving you an option to think upon.

As you will have read here and elsewhere, the gods do not tell us what to do - that is the way of YHWH - but they are there to aid us when asked and to guide us on our path.

This is a long journey and not something that will be mastered in a short time. As beings, we have lost our ability to understand what is far greater than us, so our journey back there may take several generations. Stormr

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Baleyg touched on a good point when speaking of our ancestors also looking to nature for signs of events or guideposts. I was taught from a very young age each day to watch the trees, the birds, the sky and the ocean as well as the way the earth 'feels' - sight, touch and smell - as to what the day will hold. I still do it constantly as the earth moves. From my pov, I would say to consult the Runes when at a crossroads or when seeking direction. They won't tell you what to do as they are subjective and each decision you make will change your path. If you dream vividly then use what you have dreamt with what the Runes advise you in order to make your decision. They will not 'tell' you what to do, that decision can only be made by you. They can 'aid' your decision by pointing you in a direction or giving you an option to think upon.

As you will have read here and elsewhere, the gods do not tell us what to do - that is the way of YHWH - but they are there to aid us when asked and to guide us on our path.

This is a long journey and not something that will be mastered in a short time. As beings, we have lost our ability to understand what is far greater than us, so our journey back there may take several generations. Stormr

You are fortunate to have learned to read the signs in nature at such a young age. For me, that can be a challenge. I can sense the changing of seasons, often before the change occurs, smell it in the air, etc. Or get a feeling about a place or people.
I understand your point about the runes and have known that for some time, that it is a means of gaining a better perspective, to help one consider a situation with a clearer mind, such as with meditation.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:48 am

It is true that it is much much easier, possibly exponentially easier, to learn such things as a child. Much like language and other skills. This is why it is so important to teach young children to think for themselves and impart to them the knowledge they need to not only support themselves but thrive and embrace the chaos, instead of cowering before it.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am

There are systems published for beginners for the interpretation of runes. I believe Baleyg et al. have done an effective job of explaining Runes and would like to add only something from my personal experience.

I am not an atheist and I do not enjoy the insultingly idiotic seances that I have seen in some circles when it comes to Rune Work. The sort of New Age LARPing that attempts to create a new religion from the ashes of the old presupposes that the old ways were capable of dying and preposterously that they have indeed perished. For this reason I was at first very skeptical of the modern schools of Rune Work. After over a decade of explicit mistrust, I started to engage in the Work on my own terms. I accepted the Lore and the Gods long before, mind you, but I was hesitant to embrace the recreations of Rune reading. You see, I mistakenly believed that there could only be one way of correctly using them.

Now, as an active reader of Runes for many years, I find in Rune Work keys to communicating beyond my unaided senses. The systems that have been published for beginners, which I once doubted, do indeed give you a language for beginning and with practice, trial, and error you can very well learn how to make the most of your Rune Work. The lesson learned is that once a language is established the Norns will accommodate the reader. This is my experience.

Cheers,
r

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:19 am

Baleyg wrote:
It is true that it is much much easier, possibly exponentially easier, to learn such things as a child. Much like language and other skills. This is why it is so important to teach young children to think for themselves and impart to them the knowledge they need to not only support themselves but thrive and embrace the chaos, instead of cowering before it.

I agree. When I was a really small child, I have very vivid memories of how I perceived the world. To the average person, some of those memories would seem impossible, and I often wonder if I didn't just imagine things. I think if no one would have tried to fill my head with dogma and tell me certain things are impossible, things would have been very different for me as I got older.
One memory that I have no doubts about: when I was 2 or 3, my older half sister and I spent most of our time at my grandparent's house. She came in my room early one morning, Somme me up and wanted to play a prank on my grandfather. We pulled our sheets over our heads pretending we were ghosts and went out to the living room where my grandfather was sitting eating peanuts. That was the ordinary part. The unusual part was how I saw the whole scene both through the eyes of my child self beneath the sheet and from a different point of view outside of myself, watching me and my sister walking into the room, seeing the whole thing, including my grandfather and his reaction.
As a kid, I didn't tell people about this because no one would have understood, or they wouldn't believe me.
There are other memories that I can't explain.
With my own child, if she says someone is there, even if we can't see what she sees, we don't tell her she's wrong. We just ask her to point the person out. If she hugs a tree or talks to it, we let her do it. I don't want her to have the magic taken out of life like it was for me. I want to encourage her spiritual growth, as does my husband.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Fand wrote:
Baleyg wrote:

I agree. When I was a really small child, I have very vivid memories of how I perceived the world. To the average person, some of those memories would seem impossible, and I often wonder if I didn't just imagine things. I think if no one would have tried to fill my head with dogma and tell me certain things are impossible, things would have been very different for me as I got older.
One memory that I have no doubts about: when I was 2 or 3, my older half sister and I spent most of our time at my grandparent's house. She came in my room early one morning, Somme me up and wanted to play a prank on my grandfather. We pulled our sheets over our heads pretending we were ghosts and went out to the living room where my grandfather was sitting eating peanuts. That was the ordinary part. The unusual part was how I saw the whole scene both through the eyes of my child self beneath the sheet and from a different point of view outside of myself, watching me and my sister walking into the room, seeing the whole thing, including my grandfather and his reaction.
As a kid, I didn't tell people about this because no one would have understood, or they wouldn't believe me.
With my own child, if she says someone is there, even if we can't see what she sees, we don't tell her she's wrong. We just ask her to point the person out. If she hugs a tree or talks to it, we let her do it. I don't want her to have the magic taken out of life like it was for me. I want to encourage her spiritual growth, as does my husband.

Our homes have been taken many times. Our history has been erased. Our families have been bound to misinformation. Your blood remains. There is no dogma that can stand against the principles of truth our faith is based on.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Hail
I'm interested in studying elder futhark any advice on books ,rune stone to get any specific rune stone get
Or how to make one thanks

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Baleyg wrote:
Fand wrote:
Baleyg wrote:

Our homes have been taken many times. Our history has been erased. Our families have been bound to misinformation. Your blood remains. There is no dogma that can stand against the principles of truth our faith is based on.

I saw a quote somewhere. Be a gardener, not a carpenter. It was referring to how we raise our children, cultivating their natural talents and abilities. I think that fits well with spirituality as well. If encouraged, I believe we can find the deeper truths we seek.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I am having a difficult time with soo many variations to choose from and meanings from different view points. I have found a basic foundation I can relate to. Not saying it's right so I will post this and comments welcome.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ru ... &FORM=VIRE

At very least, interesting. ;)

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Yes, there is an awful lot of information out there. Plus not all of it is of the same quality. For casting, someone in this forum steered me to the method outlined in Tacituis' history of the early Germans. One throws a number of runes onto a white cloth and selects three without looking at them first.

As for meanings, Edred Thorsson strikes me as one of the more traditional commentators. If you can't find his book, see www.runemeaning.com. The site gives the gist of his remarks for each of the Elder Futhark runes.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]