View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Parts of the Self 

What can be said about the parts of the self? I have little knowledge and experience with them. What are your experiences? What is your knowledge of them?
Thank you,
-Defender

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:33 pm

I am not actually sure if there is any text or oral tradition regarding the parts of the self- I am very interested to know as well.

All I know is we have a physical body and a soul that continues, perhaps, after our bodies turn to dust... I am not sure if that soul has separate components or not in Odinism.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Start here : http://norse-mythology.org/concepts/the-parts-of-the-self/

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:31 pm

Thank you, for some reason I forgot all of this. I can't believe I forgot...

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Thank you for the link, Norse Storm.

Stephen McNallen's "Asatru: A Native European Spirituality" also addresses the same topic in Chapters 14 & 15 but takes a slightly different approach, which might also be of interest. McNallen seems to be working with the same material, but without limiting himself to the exact language of the classic Lore. I thought it might be fun to look at the differences, but not because one is authoritatively correct while the other is not. Rather, it's interesting to note the different conclusions that come from different approaches to the Odinist study of "self".

McNallen:
Lik: Physical Body
Ek: The Sense of Self
Hugr: The Logical Mind
Minni: Memory
Ond: Vital Breath
Wode: Ecstatic State
Hamingja: "Luck" or "Personal Power"
Fylgja: "Familiar Spirit"

Norse Storm's Link:
Likamr: Vital processes
Hamr: Shape
Hugr: Thought
Munr: Desire
Fylgja: "Familiar"
Hamingja: "Luck"

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:14 am

I wish to work on parts greater than the self. Enough time was spent alone.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:51 am

To understand the "self" is to understand the values of the Gods.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:56 am

[TONE/KEY]-[NUM]-[LORE OF]-[PHYSICAL/METAPHYSICAL]-[ENERGY WHEEL]-[LOCATION ON EARTH]

RE - 9 - Asgardr - Luna/Selene - Spirit Wheel - Omaha, Nebraska
DO - 8 - Ljòsalfheimr - Sol/Helios - Soul Wheel - Laos (Ljòs)
TI - 7 - Niflheimr - Coelus/Uranus - Crown Wheel - Mt Kailas, Tibet
LA - 6 - Jötunheimr - Mercury/Hermes - Forehead Wheel - Glastonbury, England
SOL - 5 - Midgardr (C) - Venus/Aphrodite - Throat Wheel - Giza (Memphis), Egypt
SOL - 5 - Midgardr (CH)- Terra/Gaea - Throat Wheel - Giza (Memphis), Egypt
SOL - 5 - Midgardr (H) - Neptune/Poseidon - Throat Wheel - Giza (Memphis), Egypt
FA - 4 - Vanaheimr - Saturn/Cronos - Heart Wheel - Glastonbury, England
MI - 3 - Muspellheimr - Jupiter/Zeus - Plexus Wheel - Uluru, Australia
RE - 2 - Svartalfheimr - Pluto/Hades - Sacral Wheel - Lake Titicaca, South America
DO - 1 - Helheimr - Mars/Ares - Root Wheel - Mt Shasta, California

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 pm

Tyrienne wrote:
I am not actually sure if there is any text or oral tradition regarding the parts of the self- I am very interested to know as well.

All I know is we have a physical body and a soul that continues, perhaps, after our bodies turn to dust... I am not sure if that soul has separate components or not in Odinism.

I don't know of any such thing in western thinking, but you could look into vedic texts. In Ayurveda they teach about the multiple layers from the physical to the soul. I believe it is seven layers. When I have the chance , I'll dig out a book I have that goes into this a little.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 pm

The Hindu tradition is descendant from the Vedic texts, which may or may not be connected to Norse beliefs, each descending from a single Indo-European root. In the Vedas, and it's descendent Hinduism, there is an absolute self which is "seed" of the absolute god. That seed is not your consciousness that you use day to day, but a pure element of divinity. If you can achieve a state of nirvana your seed will retain, most, of your consciousness from your life and your seed will be free from rebirths and join with the "god" or go off on its own and become a lesser god. Also, meditation and focus as seen in buddhism is only one way to attain such enlightenment. In the Vedas there are 114, though only 112 can be done by living mortals. If the Vedas were used as a source to explain odinism then I think our gods would be seen as divine beings of great power, ruling over these realms, but separate from the supreme god, which has no personality or consciousness of its own that we would recognize as such. We would essentially be lesser beings with the potential to surpass the gods or join them if we could reach a level of release from the illusions of this reality and find the truth of existence. What we call our "soul" is a fabrication of the self, the ego. The "true soul" is something far greater and just as divine as the gods, though less powerful because the vessel within which it is contained is too weak and confused to use its full power.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Brynjar wrote:
The Hindu tradition is descendant from the Vedic texts, which may or may not be connected to Norse beliefs, each descending from a single Indo-European root. In the Vedas, and it's descendent Hinduism, there is an absolute self which is "seed" of the absolute god. That seed is not your consciousness that you use day to day, but a pure element of divinity. If you can achieve a state of nirvana your seed will retain, most, of your consciousness from your life and your seed will be free from rebirths and join with the "god" or go off on its own and become a lesser god. Also, meditation and focus as seen in buddhism is only one way to attain such enlightenment. In the Vedas there are 114, though only 112 can be done by living mortals. If the Vedas were used as a source to explain odinism then I think our gods would be seen as divine beings of great power, ruling over these realms, but separate from the supreme god, which has no personality or consciousness of its own that we would recognize as such. We would essentially be lesser beings with the potential to surpass the gods or join them if we could reach a level of release from the illusions of this reality and find the truth of existence. What we call our "soul" is a fabrication of the self, the ego. The "true soul" is something far greater and just as divine as the gods, though less powerful because the vessel within which it is contained is too weak and confused to use its full power.

I had forgotten about this topic, but your comment reminded me. My previous comment was in reference to what you mention here.
The yogi would say "I am a soul that has taken a body."
Vedic philosophy does not discuss just one body, but three.
1. The physical body:
In Sanskrit, the physical body is called the Annamaya kosha, or food sheath. Is visible dense body is born, grows, changes, decays and then dies. The physical body is made of one layer.
2. The Astral body:
Every living being has an astral body. This is connected to the physical body by a subtle thread along which vital currants pass. When this cord is cut, the astral body departs and the physical body dies. It is composed of three layers: The panic sheath — more subtle than the food sheath, but similar in form, it is often spoken of as the enteric double. It is made up of 72,000 nadis, or astral tubes, through which prana flows. In the first layer of the astral body, called the pranamaya Misha, we experience such sensations as heat and cold, hunger and thirst.
Mental sheath — comprising the automatic mind, as well as the instinctive and subconscious regions, this is where we carry on the automatic functions of our daily lives. It is very jumpy by nature and is constantly bombarded by input from the five senses. The second layer, the manamaya kosha, is where thought, doubt, exhilaration, depression, and delusion are experienced.
The intellectual sheath — the intellect controls and guides the automatic mind. Discrimination and decision making take place here and pass down to the more gross sheaths. The vijnanamaya kosha of the astral body is the decision making faculty. The ego, the sense of who I think I am, resides here.
3. The causal body:
Called karana sharira in Sanskrit, the causal body is also known as the seed body. Just as a seed or a bulb contains within itself the exact blueprint of the plant it will produce, so the causal body stores subtle impressions in the form of karma. These subtle impressions control the formation and growth of the other two bodies, and determine every aspect of the next birth. At the time of death, both the causal and astral bodies (which remain together) separate from the physical body. The seed body has only one layer, the anandamaya kosha, or bliss sheath, in which the experiences of happiness and joy reside.

I think there are a plethora of similarities to be found between the vedic philosophy and the eddic. Karma certainly seems to have a twin in the northern lore called hamingja.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 pm

A note on karma, as it is so often misunderstood. Karma is the stored impressions of everything that has happened to you in this life and in past lives. Karma is not fate, destiny, or "luck", but the result of your own past actions. Sound familiar?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]