View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
New Book: The Thornish Path by Jack Wolf 

Thought I would post this for people who enjoyed Jack Wolf's "The Way of the Odin Brotherhood."

I read this book twice since I purchased it last week. Jack Wolf has a very readable style I also like how he used stories about people and aspects of that tradition to get his message across. Made the book almost read like a novel.

Here's a description of the book from Amazon.com
Wisdom from a hidden community …
From words of prophecy made in earlier times to the newsfeeds of the today’s internet, more and more people are becoming aware of the changes taking place in the world. The old and much abused industrial model, driven largely by human ignorance and greed, has placed the future of both humankind and the Earth herself on a path to a questionable future.
But there is hope.

Over the past handful of decades, a great many people have been awakening to the realities of the world but as well, also hearing – and heeding – the call from the wisdom that lies in the heart of all human beings. It is a call to an older way, a better way; a way of returning to the realms of deeper spirit; of magic and of tribe. As individuals and as groups, those who have heard this call of the heart are rising to once again take their place as true human beings: As stewards of the land.

Canadian author Jack Wolf brings us a collection of stories from one such group of Earth-stewards. He does so with the desire that what he shares will kindle the fires of awakening in the hearts and minds of those who are ready for the return of the primal spark-of-hope.

Known as the Thornish tradition, the tribal gathering into which Jack was initiated in the mid 1980s, this group of animist stewards, referred to as knights of the greenwood or even forest mages by some, practices a form of Deepening Tribalism; which is a Paganism deeply tied to the spirits and energies of the land. As well, practitioners of the Thornish way express a commitment to recovering threads of the First Knowledge; a hidden repository of ancient wisdom believed to have been gifted to all people in the forgotten, primordial past.

Told in the narrative form, The Thornish Path, is intended to provide the reader with an intimate glimpse into the workings and relationships found within this formerly secret society. It is also intended as an introduction to this unique tradition for those who may wish to explore further.

Thornish people believe that they are but one tradition of many emerging now, into the modern world in order to be of assistance in the ongoing battle to heal the Earth, and in the words of Jack Wolf: “The time has come for the folk of the green to come into their own – as protectors and managers of the Earth, not the despoilers of it.”

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:14 pm

JohnMathison, I couldn't agree more. This is a very good book and I too have read and reread it since it was published. There is much wisdom in these pages. Although very different to "The Way of the Odin Brotherhood", I think there may be some here who will enjoy it. Stormr

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Anything by Jack Wolf is, sight unseen, endorsed by me.

I have seen this book, which makes my endorsement even stronger.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Good words. We must support our own even if they might not admit to being our own.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 am

Are you guys serious? This is not a book club nor should any literature exist to make us into a known entity such as the Masons. I dont know why i bother explaining something so trivial to people that claim to be apart of something they are not. Not that all are not; just that many claim to something they know nothing about outside of book covers.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:51 am

Jack Wolf used to post on this site, he was a regular, but his name says it all, Jack to look after yourself, and wolf in this case a sheep in wolfs clothing, he came in stole lore and then published.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Hákon wrote:
Jack Wolf used to post on this site, he was a regular, but his name says it all, Jack to look after yourself, and wolf in this case a sheep in wolfs clothing, he came in stole lore and then published.

Really? How do you know this? Or are you just assuming?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Hákon wrote:

Such things evidence your ignorance. Jack Wolf is well known to the Odin Brotherhood and is counted a friend. More than I can say for you.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 am

I was around when Jack Wolf and others mentioned in his previous book used to haunt this forum. They were far wiser then I, I learned much from their conversations, where I am sure I at the time, probably disrupted more then aided the dialogue.

Jack was fortunate enough to have been raised around folks and lived in an area where renowned and elders of various Pagan traditions set root. Even if hypothetically Jack had any negative aspects of his personality and such he is still a reliable source to inherit the wisdom of men far greater then himself. I however have the instinctual feeling he is what many would call a "good man".

Also, the "Odin Brotherhood web" also lists his book on their timeline on significant events that publically happened for their society. That is a good enough endorsement to me.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
I was around when Jack Wolf and others mentioned in his previous book used to haunt this forum. They were far wiser then I, I learned much from their conversations, where I am sure I at the time, probably disrupted more then aided the dialogue.

Jack was fortunate enough to have been raised around folks and lived in an area where renowned and elders of various Pagan traditions set root. Even if hypothetically Jack had any negative aspects of his personality and such he is still a reliable source to inherit the wisdom of men far greater then himself. I however have the instinctual feeling he is what many would call a "good man".

Also, the "Odin Brotherhood web" also lists his book on their timeline on significant events that publically happened for their society. That is a good enough endorsement to me.

Makes sense... Unless Jack Wolf created the website for the sake of self promotion. Just playing the good little skeptic here.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Fand wrote:
BjornBerserk wrote:

Makes sense... Unless Jack Wolf created the website for the sake of self promotion. Just playing the good little skeptic here.

I hadn't paid much attention to his website until after you mentioned this. After reading through it, I would say it is possible.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm not sure if you misunderstood me, but what I was suggesting is that maybe the OB website was created by Jack Wolf.
Of course, this is just hypothetical. I have no clue who manages the OB website and forum, but it could work, if someone wanted to pull off a scheme to promote his book to anonymously create a website and the illusion of a whole secret society, then publish a book that claims to have intimate knowledge of the mysterious society. Sounds like e kind of thing I might have done as a kid to prank my friends. I used to be very mischievous like that, and would make up all sorts of outlandish stories and have so many friends and classmates fooled. While I may have done such thins just for a laugh, others will concoct such schemes in order to get rich or to manipulate others for their own selfish purposes — so, my overactive imagination has a tendency to come up with theories as to who or what may be behind certain things and what the motives may be.
So, please don't take any of this to be an attack on the OB. Anyway, the brotherhood, if they truly exist, can hardly blame me for wondering about something so secretive and mysterious.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm

It is wise not to speculate unwisely on something you know little about, nor to defame the name of someone you have never met. The roots of the Odin Brotherhood and Mr Wolf run deep and are without question.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:19 am

Norse Storm wrote:
It is wise not to speculate unwisely on something you know little about, nor to defame the name of someone you have never met. The roots of the Odin Brotherhood and Mr Wolf run deep and are without question.

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. I never met the founders of Christianity, but their roots run deep, and we are taught not to question them. If I had not questioned their doctrines, if I had chosen to trust blindly someone I never met, I would never have found my way to my ancestral gods and to Odinism.
A wise man seeks knowledge and understanding, and how can he acquire these if he does not question?

But seriously, I doubt that the Odin Brotherhood is just some get rich quick scheme. I don't know if their lore and claims of an unbroken chain can be believed, but I hope it is true, even if I'll never be privy to that knowledge. But unless I can see a person face to face and look them in the eye, then I am inclined to a healthy dose of skepticism.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 am

Fand wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. I never met the founders of Christianity, but their roots run deep, and we are taught not to question them. If I had not questioned their doctrines, if I had chosen to trust blindly someone I never met, I would never have found my way to my ancestral gods and to Odinism.
A wise man seeks knowledge and understanding, and how can he acquire these if he does not question?

But seriously, I doubt that the Odin Brotherhood is just some get rich quick scheme. I don't know if their lore and claims of an unbroken chain can be believed, but I hope it is true, even if I'll never be privy to that knowledge. But unless I can see a person face to face and look them in the eye, then I am inclined to a healthy dose of skepticism.

Yes, a wise man does seek knowledge and understanding by asking questions, but those questions and opinions should be tempered with an element of respect not skepticism. By doubting the source of the information how can you understand or learn?

We are not talking about Christianity here, we are talking about our own. Until more knowledge is gained, does not the subject of discussion deserve respect? As I would respect you or any other person on this forum.

My question to you is, if you doubt that the Odin Brotherhood lore and claims of an unbroken chain can be believed or that you will be privy to that knowledge; and if you find you must see a person face to face and look them in the eye - why are you here?

Stormr

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Fand wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

Yes, a wise man does seek knowledge and understanding by asking questions, but those questions and opinions should be tempered with an element of respect not skepticism. By doubting the source of the information how can you understand or learn?

We are not talking about Christianity here, we are talking about our own. Until more knowledge is gained, does not the subject of discussion deserve respect? As I would respect you or any other person on this forum.

My question to you is, if you doubt that the Odin Brotherhood lore and claims of an unbroken chain can be believed or that you will be privy to that knowledge; and if you find you must see a person face to face and look them in the eye - why are you here?

Stormr

Why am I here? Not because of some foolish dream of joining a secret society. If the self initiation rite is really all their is, well, I don't need to initiate into the brotherhood to pledge my oath to the gods and my ancestors. Indeed, I have done so years ago, and have not forgotten.
I am here because of the quality of the discussions here. I don't need to know or trust someone to know when something makes sense.
The OB lists decent reading material, but other than that, there isn't a whole lot of input from them here on the forum, unless some of the members posting on here happen to be "them". Otherwise, this forum seems largely to be the product of all our collective effort. And that's fine. I don't have problem with this being just another Odinist forum, but the depth and quality of the conversations on Odinism are definitely better here than elsewhere.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Fand wrote:
I'm not sure if you misunderstood me, but what I was suggesting is that maybe the OB website was created by Jack Wolf.
Of course, this is just hypothetical. I have no clue who manages the OB website and forum, but it could work, if someone wanted to pull off a scheme to promote his book to anonymously create a website and the illusion of a whole secret society, then publish a book that claims to have intimate knowledge of the mysterious society. Sounds like e kind of thing I might have done as a kid to prank my friends. I used to be very mischievous like that, and would make up all sorts of outlandish stories and have so many friends and classmates fooled. While I may have done such thins just for a laugh, others will concoct such schemes in order to get rich or to manipulate others for their own selfish purposes — so, my overactive imagination has a tendency to come up with theories as to who or what may be behind certain things and what the motives may be.
So, please don't take any of this to be an attack on the OB. Anyway, the brotherhood, if they truly exist, can hardly blame me for wondering about something so secretive and mysterious.

I got you now. Well...I know from previous times that in the forum one of the original Moderators was an older man and there was a second mod who was "Odinbrotherhoodlives" who later replaced that guy when he didn't have the time anymore. Jack Wolf also posted at the same time as these men, also a few mainstream Odinist types used to come on the forum trying to "debunk" the Brotherhood. To me they seemed to be thinking rather shallowly but one them claimed that the site was registered by none other then Mark Mirabello himself. I don't know if that is true but it wouldn't seem surprising as Odin Brotherhood web page says blatantly it is run by "a friend of the Brotherhood". I think Jack Wolf also falls under this category...

Does the possibility that Mark Mirabello and perhaps now Jack Wolf after his correspondence with Mark running the site affect the legitimacy of the site? In my opinion hardly.

I am of the opinion these men share goals and aims with the Brotherhood but because of obligations to other orders or creeds deceided to be friends who would openly support and further the Brotherhood in a way the actual members could not. My evidence to back this up?

(1) Jack Wolf comes from his own old traditional religion which seems to run parallel with the Odin Brotherhoods goals. Perhaps he is still a member, but I'm unsure.

(2) Mark Mirabello at one time gave out free copies of the Odin Brotherhood book. If he were doing this for profit why would he do that? A better question where did he get the money for all these books to just give away? From a Brotherhood perspective a person of guaranteed honor like Mark who would keep secrets and openly support the Brotherhood is indispensable. I think of the the secret is to whom he deticated all his works to... Paul Joseph Mirabello "the master of those who know", whom I am assuming was a older male mentor to Mark be it his father or grandfather.

Mark also states where his family is from is known as a Occult center and a seat of the Germanic Lombards... Not only that his own name with the initials M.M is meant to denote a secret... Perhaps he was born the son or grandson of a great man and held promise at one time as an uninitiated person searching for answers...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis_Bookshop

Look at the bottom of this Wikipedia article.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Also who are "those who know"?

It could be the Odin Brotherhood? It could also be the hidden masters mentioned in the Odin Brotherhood book who some folks refer to as "those who know"?

Who are the hidden masters? Essentially they are beings who through the acquisition of wisdom learned to prolong their life and stayed in Midgard rather then ascending to the realms of the Gods/Devas(In Hinduism and Buddhism). Vyasa, the man the OB claimed created the stories the Eddas are based upon is still claimed to live in the mountains somewhere for example.

Sir Francis Bacon who once was theorized to be the real author behind Shakespeare was rumored to have faked his own death and departed for the Carpathian mountains where he became a hidden master. This also goes along with the part of which Jack claims in his book that some OB members are given "apples" or "peaches" of youth...

Also interesting is that many orders of these hidden masters have existed. That being "The Brotherhood of the snake" and "The Brotherhood of the Light" or "The White Brotherhood".

Anyone who read the Odin Brotherhood book, this would set off some bells. In the first line of the OB replies it is claimed the Brotherhood fosters "Light" a kenning for illumination and wisdom.

White is also mentioned. "The heart of white darkness" and "White animals" refering to innocence. Mark says in another one of his books that something not touched by corruption such as a hidden virgin girl is not innocent, bit something that faced the coreuptive element and leaves the experience still pure is innocence. In contrast we see the color "black" (ignorance) used to described priests. The same reason why the Brotherhood wants those who "laugh at authority" rather then those who "hate authority".

Also the comparison of the Old testament "God" of the Jews who demands the unnatural of a man to kill his son, who destroys cities and floods worlds. Lucifer in contrast is regarded as the snake or serpent who offers the initial wisdom to man on the sacred tree.

Also why is the Brotherhood called the "Odin" Brotherhood specifically? With the many gods venerated why the name Odin? Well is Odin this specific deities name in actuality? He is the one with many names which is why kennings are used, for a name can be misleading but actions and attributes speak truth.

So if Odin is the God with many names perhaps the Brotherhood named after him has many names also?

Funny thing...Mark in his ancient aliens interview also mentions the Brotherhood of the Snake in the episodes about cults.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]