View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Order of Sagas 

I learned something interesting yesterday.

According to Wikipedia, The saga of Ragnar Lothbrook picks up where the Volsunga saga left off. I guess I should have known that since Sigurd was in the Volsunga saga. There is also a saga of Ragnars sons.

I am supposed to be descended from them through Swein Asliefsson who is in the Orkneyinga saga, so that would have to come sometime after the saga of Ragnars sons. There is a gap there of a couple hundred years between the sagas. I don't know if there was one written in between having to do with the same lineage.

Do any of you know the order of the other sagas? That would be interesting as I am getting back into reading some more.

I have read the Volsunga saga, but am listening to it now. If listening is more your speed than reading, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCjuYGkpCEQ&t=345s

...and to my "cousin" : Here is some family history resources for you through the sagas.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:13 pm

The Volsunga saga link i provided for Youtube goes silent at 42 minutes.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZJH-wsP_I good Volsunga Saga audio link

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:35 pm

The sagas are difficult to place in order. There are some that reference events or individual that help determine their place in the narrative but others are more elusive. When reference clues are absent scholars often try to establish the chronological order of collections of stories by the language and writing style used in the earliest manuscripts containing the story. Since many of the Norse-Icelandic sagas were passed along in the oral tradition before they were written down it can be difficult to order them.

The works listed on this page might help.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 pm

I think what I read about the Volsunga Saga preceding the Saga of Ragnar was wrong, and I think it is two different Sigurds. At the end of the Volsunga Saga it says this was the end of them.
Now I am reading that the Hervarar Saga talks about Ragnars father and grandfather.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:23 pm

There are variations and inconsistencies in the various sagas, even the same saga can contain conflicting information depending on the origin and the translation. It was not above a king to have himself added to the lineage of a great family in order to boost his prestige or the legitimacy of his rule. Properly sorting it all out may be an impossible task.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I think you must be right.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am

If I remember correctly, Ragnar's Saga picks up with Sigurdr's and Brynhildr's daughter Aslaug, who then marries Ragnar. The Sigurd (snake in the eye) in Ragnar's Saga is the son of Aslaug and Ragnar, so is Sigurd Fafnisbane's grandson. I too am able to trace my lineage back to Ragnar, though not through Orkney.

For Saga recommendations, these are my favourite (excluding the two mentioned here): Egil's Saga, Njal's Saga, and Harald Hardrada's Saga. I am currently reading through Grettir the Strong's Saga.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 am

Locke wrote:
If I remember correctly, Ragnar's Saga picks up with Sigurdr's and Brynhildr's daughter Aslaug, who then marries Ragnar. The Sigurd (snake in the eye) in Ragnar's Saga is the son of Aslaug and Ragnar, so is Sigurd Fafnisbane's grandson. I too am able to trace my lineage back to Ragnar, though not through Orkney.

For Saga recommendations, these are my favourite (excluding the two mentioned here): Egil's Saga, Njal's Saga, and Harald Hardrada's Saga. I am currently reading through Grettir the Strong's Saga.

How did you manage to trace your lineage specifically to Ragnar?? Last I checked the only evidence for him being real was in the saga's and medieval literature. Though if you are of European decent then chances are that you are related, if he lived around 980's then the amount of ancestors you have number in excess of a billion (there was no where near a billion people back then). On the plus side we are all distant cousins lol.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Skygge wrote:
How did you manage to trace your lineage specifically to Ragnar?? Last I checked the only evidence for him being real was in the saga's and medieval literature. Though if you are of European decent then chances are that you are related, if he lived around 980's then the amount of ancestors you have number in excess of a billion (there was no where near a billion people back then). On the plus side we are all distant cousins lol.

Can trace it back to Somerled, King of the Isles, who married into the Crovan (descended from Ivar Ragnarsson) dynasty. Somerled has over 500,000 living descendants, so following that logic Ragnar (or whatever his name truly is) would have a staggeringly greater number. My living family mainly consists of low ranking civil servants, rather than legendary, scarcely-attested-to warlords, heh.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Locke wrote:
Skygge wrote:

Can trace it back to Somerled, King of the Isles, who married into the Crovan (descended from Ivar Ragnarsson) dynasty. Somerled has over 500,000 living descendants, so following that logic Ragnar (or whatever his name truly is) would have a staggeringly greater number. My living family mainly consists of low ranking civil servants, rather than legendary, scarcely-attested-to warlords, heh.

Nice, wasn't being funny though was generally interested :) I am a bit of a mongrel myself as have grandparents from England Ireland Scotland and Wales so bloodlines are hard to pin down lol.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 am

I am also one of the 500,000 ... Locke and I have had this discussion before ...

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]