View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Rite of Bragi 

I thought I had made another thread about the Rite of Bragi, but things often get jumbled into one here. Being a smaller forum, a lot of topics get turned into general conversation. I thought it would be helpful if there was a thread about this.

Recently, I read something that BjornBerserk typed on here about the Rite of Bragi and gifts. I have followed the path of the brotherhood for a while without taking the sojourn. For a couple years now, I have performed the Rite of Bragi without much success.

This past Solstice, I spent a lot of time in preparation for it. I spent time in meditation. It was the night of joy in honor of the goddesses. Ancestor veneration is a big part of my practice and I don't do much seperate from them. I left an offering in the earth for the Disir/female ancestors. I left an offering for Nerthus. I gave my blood to Heimfallr (Because I include Heimdallr in everything). I experienced The Glimpse of Extraordinary Beauty. I would imagine that different people who are succesful at this have glimpses of varying degrees and different experiences. I can only speak for myself. As to what I saw, I don't feel like making it public.
There is not much said about it. I do not post this to say, "Hey look at me." I am posting so that someone new on this path knows that it is a real thing. I am not quite sure how many times I have done it, but this may have been my 6th time. Don't be discouraged if you tried once and did not experience much.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 am

Firstly, I don't know the OB's stance on disclosing whether one has made the sojourn, but to my mind, I can't see how it could be in conflict with anonymity. It's not like anyone can know your identity solely by your user name.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I don't know much an the rite of bragi. I've read through much of the resources I discovered on the OB website, and have read about how to self initiate, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing, exactly as the rite of bragi.
Since you don't wish to discuss what you experienced, would you perhaps care to share a little about the method you used? If you followed a specific ritual, is there a link you could share?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I can see you have done some searching through the resources that the OB has provided. Have you read Dr. Mirabellos book or Jack Wolfs book? What about The Teachings of the Odin Brotherhood. I know that in the first and last book mentioned, the basic form of the Rite of Bragi is mentioned. As far as the sojourn goes, that is why I like Jack Wolfs book, because there are examples and it is written in a conversational manner.
One thing that is very important in the way of the brotherhood is individual thought. It isnt the way of the brotherhood to "prescribe" a manner in which to do things. There are some basic outlines to give you examples. As OB Once said on here, it is suggested to follow the traditional ritual because everything has a meaning. I do things the way it is outlined in the teachings of the Odin Brotherhood, but I also do things my way.

I am nobody, but I will give you a few ideas about how I do things.

When I perform the Rite of Bragi, I have done it in a white shroud and unclothed. The shroud is a burial shroud, and that is something to think about. That is why I have done it unclothed as well. I figure, eventually your clothes rot off your body and you are recycled into this world naked.
On any rite you perform whether it is from the teachings of the OB or something you feel led to do, whatever it may be, I think it is important to really meditate on it.

I almost always leave some kind of offering before I do anything. I regularly "feed" my ancestors and leave ale for landwights. That is just part of my practice. It isn't mentioned in the OB literature, but Im not a slave to anything.
The only "altar" I keep is an ancestral altar.

When I make mead or ale, I thank the bees for the honey, the yeast for its life, etc.
When I cut a branch to make runes or whatever else, I thank the tree.

Some people act like the only information we have about rites and runes is reconstructed modern stuff, but beyond the Odin Brotherhood, there is also STAV which is claimed to be an unbroken line of family teachings for over a thousand years. There is also Urglaawe.
So people who think Odinism is a reconstructed religion are right and wrong. It is reconstructed by some who have not discovered the legacy left for us.
The reason I mention that is that a lot about Odinist practice can be learned from Urglaawe and Stav, too...but this is a site for the Odin Brotherhood. Those groups are also reasons why I don't doubt that unbroken lineage of the Brotherhood since the 15th century...it's not the only one.

I might not have given you the answer you wanted, but that is because the answers lie in your own practice. All I can do is give a few examples of what I do, with the hope that it encourges you to step out and try things in your own practice and learn about the Rite of Bragi by doing.
Some people may think the things I do are silly, and that is ok. To each his own.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:32 pm

http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/library- ... files.html I believe you can look back through Dr. MIrabellos book here. Flip through and get to the Rite of Bragi. The Night Of Courage is October 31. I hope you try it then. If you have a more specific question, I could try to answer it, but my main point is to try it yourself.
Everything else I posted was because along my path, it has helped me to know bits and pieces of other peoples practice. Some I have agreed with and some I have disagreed with. Either way, I think it is helpful when you know other people are doing the same thing as you, things you might like to try, or even something like: "Dang - they make me feel better about my practice cause they are much weirder than me!"

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 am

Thank you! Whether I've read the books you mentioned, honestly, I'm not sure. I devour books like a black hole devours planets! So, I tend to forget the names of most books I've read. I'll check out the link and see. If I've read it before, it will all come back to me.

I've never really followed rituals, largely because along my journey, so much of the rituals I've read about struck me as absurd. So, I've always just down m own thing, kinda making it up as I go along and trying to listen to my intuition. Needless to say, there has been much trial and error, but also plenty of success.
But over the last 3 years, my daughter has taken up so much of my time and attention, that I haven't devoted much time to meditation or other spiritual pursuits as I'd like.
I feel like I should give ritual another go, especially if I can find or construct something that suits me and feels right. So, that's why I ask. Not so much to copy, but to hopefully be inspired.
I'm curious about the date of Oct 31. Is this just the simple go to date for those kinda lacking in the solar and lunar cycles? Samhain has always been my favourite time of year, and I don't go off the 31st, but rather I calculate the accurate date, which fluctuates slightly from year to year. If memory serves me correctly, samhain falls midway between autumn equinox and winter solstice.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't know much about that particular date. It is one of my favorite times of year too. Not too hot, not too cold, not too light, and not too dark.

The Shrouded One of Odin had a daughter who was one of the founders of the brotherhood. You have a great oppurtunity to bring her up in these ways.

The Rite of Bragi, abbreviated:

Summer Solstice, Night of Joy, for the Goddesses
October 31 Night of Courage, for heroes who neither lived quietly nor died quietly
WInter Solstice, NIght of Generosity, when an Odinist gives a gift to the world.

Ritual bathing, white shroud, Touching the gods of the brotherhood by naming, staring at a luminous object and envisioning yourself as a specific deity to be enveloped by the thoughts of said deity.

Imagination, visualization, a mind sufficient to will things into action.

Ring any bells? I like to re read it in MIrabellos books The Odin Brotherhood and ponder on these rituals. It's like an onion -many layers.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:14 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
I don't know much about that particular date. It is one of my favorite times of year too. Not too hot, not too cold, not too light, and not too dark.

The Shrouded One of Odin had a daughter who was one of the founders of the brotherhood. You have a great oppurtunity to bring her up in these ways.

The Rite of Bragi, abbreviated:

Summer Solstice, Night of Joy, for the Goddesses
October 31 Night of Courage, for heroes who neither lived quietly nor died quietly
WInter Solstice, NIght of Generosity, when an Odinist gives a gift to the world.

Ritual bathing, white shroud, Touching the gods of the brotherhood by naming, staring at a luminous object and envisioning yourself as a specific deity to be enveloped by the thoughts of said deity.

Imagination, visualization, a mind sufficient to will things into action.

Ring any bells? I like to re read it in MIrabellos books The Odin Brotherhood and ponder on these rituals. It's like an onion -many layers.

I double checked, and I do have the Odin brotherhood book, as well as a couple other files, which I've read. Guess it's time to go through it all again.
Thank you for the information. The ritual seems more flexible and adaptable than many I've come across over the years. I like being able to use my instincts, visualization and meditation.
I may have mention on the forum before, but in case you missed it, I am raising my daughter in Ásatrú. She was born on the eve of summer solstice, which felt like an auspicious time to me. :) So far, in her limited understanding of the gods, she has taken more of an interest in Odin than all the others. Ironic, as I am much more drawn to other deities.
I wish I had the support of family members in raising her in this path. My husband, though seemingly having a respect for the old ways, is also rather indifferent where spiritual practice is concerned. The rest of our families are Christian or non religious. For the most part they are Christian in name only, as materialism and self serving interest dominate their priorities. The wise elders from both our families have passed on, and I feel that I am the only one capable of taking up the torch. Unfortunately, the only one who may actually listen to me is my daughter.
It is important to me to lay down the foundations for a new branch of descendants who will live honourably, uphold the old ways and keep the memory of the ancestors alive.

I think I would like to give the rite of bragi a try, just for the opportunity to learn and grow spiritually. Not necessarily as an initiation into the brotherhood. At this time, I'm not sure if that is a step I am ready to take. I know too little of the OB to make such a decision. But any methods that might bring me closer to the gods, my ancestors and to enlightenment is worth exploring.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 am

The Rite of Bragi is different than the initation.

Yes, meditation and visualization will help out greatly in this rite. Really, what do meditation and visualization NOT help in??

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
Quote:
The Rite of Bragi is different than the initation

Good to know. Thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:
Yes, meditation and visualization will help out greatly in this rite. Really, what do meditation and visualization NOT help in??

Very true.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 pm

I will paraphrase Jack Wolf where he says that "ritual for the sake of ritual is absurd. Ritual serves a purpose."

Seekers in the OB tradition seek truth and in the world hidden from our eyes some things are items act as keys to our subconscious (this is my theory and not the Brotherhood's). When I told a Brotherhood member on the forum I had done the Rite without a shroud the response was similar to "While we are not slaves to Orthodoxy some elements of the rite exist for a reason."

I will say I think the shroud protects one during the ritual. Think of classical Halloween rituals where people "dress up" and the classical "sheet over my head as a ghost. Is meant to fool the dead who perceive our world differently then us. The shroud (I believe) stops the interference of the dead or other beings that would foil the communication. I had twice done the Rite without a shroud, once on my own and once while I performed the rite with another to see if I could replicate the result with another person. It certainly did and foolishly I thought it a way to practice my fearlessness while my poor friend was scared out of his wits claiming he will never ever do an esoteric ritual again. Just my warning.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Interesting Bjorn. I've never done any kind of spiritual working with any special attire or garments really. It never occurred to me that it was essential. Do you mind sharing a little about the differences you experienced when wear in the shroud and when not? What stood out as significant to you in those experiences?
My personal experiences were not from any rituals, but mostly vision quests using meditation to do something like astral projection, past life regression. Also, dreams have been a very significant part of my spiritual journey. These happen unexpectedly and without much deliberate attempt to induce such dreams.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]