View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Runes of feminine quality 

I hadn't planned on doing anything special for the summer solstice, apart from spending time outdoors and in the garden. I normally make a point of directing my consciousness during such activities. When I garden, I think of the Alfár, of Freyr, and the Earth. When I harvest, it is with a sense of gratitude. Etc, etc.

Anyway, an acquaintance wants to make a little offering on the full moon this Saturday, and asked if I'd like to join her. It is a bit odd to me that she chooses the full moon rather than the actual solstice, but whatever. Since I didn't do anything for solstice, I thought I might make use of this opportunity.

I'd like to honour the goddesses and my female ancestors, with particular emphasis on the matriarchal figures. The entities which come to mind are my late grandmother, who is the truest example of a matriarch I have ever known, Frigg, as the matriarch of the Aesir, and lastly, I feel a bit of an affinity towards Freya over all the goddesses of northern and Celtic traditions. I'm not entirely sure if she would be considered a matriarch, though.

So, I will burn an offering, probably only of herbs on this occasion, and would like to make use of the runes. What I'm considering is making a bind rune which should ideally serve to both honour the matriarchal powers, as well as direct this energy into my own life. I do not desire power in its own right, but for the sake of steering my own clan, my immediate family and especially my daughter towards an honourable path.
My grandmother always looked out for the welfare of her entire family, and that included more than just our material wellbeing. I can't say that I didn't at times disagree with her, but her intentions were pure, and her love was unconditional. But that didn't stop her from telling us when we were wrong. In many ways I'd like to follow in her example, and would also like to keep the old ways alive, or rather revive them in my family.

Now that I've explained my intentions for the runes, has anyone got any suggestions or advice as to which runes might best channel my intentions? Or which combination of runes?
I will spend a few days reading and meditating on the runes and use my intuition as best I can. Just seeking a bit of guidance from those with more experience or insight. Are there runes that are inherently more feminine in nature than others? It might be helpful in narrowing down the list of runes to ponder over.

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I use the Younger Futhark.

Rei
Nod
Bjerk
Mann

In my opinion, those are the most feminine.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 pm

sweinodinsson wrote:
I use the Younger Futhark.

Rei
Nod
Bjerk
Mann

In my opinion, those are the most feminine.

I do not know these, since I am drawn to the elder futhark.

I'm still researching with a focused intent, trying to feel things out as I go along, and have been playing around with combinations as they come to mind.
One combo that I came up with is this: (I'll write the names of the runes in place of the symbols)

Isa
Wunjo/hagalaz/kenaz
UruzUruz

Isa, the primal ice, to draw energy down, hagalaz to bridge, uruz as a force of manifestation. Crossed by wunjo for harnessing the power of the tribe, bridged by hagalz and combined with kenaz as a symbol of taking up the torch.

I don't know how good that is. Just a spontaneous idea.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 am

The Younger Futhark is basically a streamlined version of the Elder. There are Elder Futhark runes that correspond to the Younger. This is why I put them down. I listed them by what I call them by, but upon a very small amount of research you could see what they are in the Elder. I didn't break it down all the way for you, because I figured you can do that yourself.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am

sweinodinsson wrote:
The Younger Futhark is basically a streamlined version of the Elder. There are Elder Futhark runes that correspond to the Younger. This is why I put them down. I listed them by what I call them by, but upon a very small amount of research you could see what they are in the Elder. I didn't break it down all the way for you, because I figured you can do that yourself.

That's fine. I didn't have time when I commented earlier, as I was about to run out the door. I'm going to take a guess at it and see if I've got it right.
Rei = raidho
Nod = naudhiz
Bjerk = berkano (birch) this one seems pretty obvious.
Mann = mannaz

How'd I do?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:54 pm

So, I've gone through the whole futhark and have noted the runes that stand out to me as possibly suitable for my purposes. I read through the descriptions in Edred Thorsons book Futhark, though I don't know how reliable these descriptions are. Those runes with a star in front are the ones I feel would be the most helpful.

Fehu: this one at first glance didn't seem bad, but upon review, I'm not so sure it would be a good fit for my current intent. What stood out- connections with the hamingja. The directed expansive force that facilitates the projection of entities and magical power from person to person, or from a person to an object.

Uruz: personally, I love this rune, though it may not be appropriate for dealings with the matriarchal goddesses and ancestors. Anyway, here's what stood out: Audhumla, mother of manifestation. The forming force that defines the origin and destiny of all things. Because of its shaping power, it is a rune symbolizing wisdom and lore, as the pattern of preserved tradition that is sprung from the natural order. Healthy society and physical health. Despite reference to it being the mother of manifestation, this rune has always felt powerfully masculine and primal to me. I don't see how the author came to his conclusions.

Raidho: as the cosmic bow of right and archetypal order in the multiverse. Raidho as a symbol of the way back to right, through the conscious efforts of Ásatrúar to recover the essence of the primal order. Again, this rune also feels masculine to me, but I could be wrong.

★kenaz: I really like this one. Controlled fire, flame of the torch. Fire of creation, sacrifice, the hearth and forge, controlled by mankind toward a willed result. A transformative and regenerative force. Freyja finds many correspondences with the passionate and sexual aspects of this rune. (I do feel drawn to freyja.) Kenaz is important to the concept of kin, and especially to that part of clanic tradition that professes a unity of the living and dead members of the clan, existing in a syncretic form of conscious life force.

Gebo (X): that which is exchanged between gods and men. By the power of this rune persons are bound together through an act of will in order to effect a result. Feels too masculine for my purposes though.

★Wunjo: relationship of beings descended from same source. The clan or tribal banner. The root force of attraction that sympathetic beings (wights) have for one another — wights descended from a common source. These beings are then bound together in an organic whole which is exemplified in the world of men by the clan/tribe. Strong traditional clan as the best protection against invaders or totalitarianism from within. By giving the honour and integrity of the clan first consideration the individual was best able to maintain his freedom. Binding force, capable of binding several runes into a single harmonious force that can work toward a specific result.

★Hagalaz: another rune I particularly like. Meanings: hail, egg, icy egg or seed of primal cosmic life and pattern. Egg of manifestation. (Feels more feminine to me than other runes which embody concepts of a primal fertile force or seed.) The rune mother, embodies ongoing evolution within a fixed framework. A rune of protection and banishment because its complete and harmonious nature promotes special security and prevents the intrusion of disharmonious elements. Etc, etc.

★Naudhiz: need fire and deliverance from distress. The cosmic force used by the powers that form the fates of mankind and the world. Does not represent ørlög. It embodies a cosmic force necessary to its formulation, that of resistance. The self created fire, to serve the needs of man in material as well as spiritual realms. "Use thy destiny, do not strive against it!" Represents stepping forth into manifestation.

★Isa (I): ice, primal matter/antimatter. Primal stream out of niflheimr. A stillness and lack of inertia. Ice and fire are the forces that through which the world is created, and which will bring about its destruction. Symbol for the ego because of its centralizing and concentrating effect. The force that holds the ego-self together during the stressful trials of the initiation process. (This concentrating power is what draws me to this rune. I posted on here a while back about a powerful dream I had in which the power of isa united with that of elhaz to create a channeling force that would allow for the flow of energy to be stored in the sheltering aspects of elhaz.) Which brings me to the next rune on my list...

★elhaz: apart from its usual interpretations which we probably all know, and which are of themselves enough to cause this rune to have a special appeal, the concepts I read in thorssons book are as follows: the concept of the valkyjur a protective, life giving beings who are a mode by which Odin communicates with his chosen heroes. The power of human life and spirit striving toward the world of the Áesir. Another mode for the consciousness to traverse the worlds. Symbol of the magical power of the hamingja. It is a rune of consciousness and awareness.

Sowilo: the sun, holy solar wheel. The archetypal sun and the light of that sun. The mystery of the sun is essentially feminine. Sowilo is the magical will that is active in the multiverse. The counterforce to the cosmic ice. Spiritual force that drives the vitki through the paths of Yggdrasil. Runs of the Germanic code of honour.

★berkano: birch goddess, breasts of the earth mother. Contains the complex mystery of the great mother. The mother of all manifestation and embodies the mysteries of cosmic and human birth and rebirth. Rules over the pivotal human rites of passage. Birth, adolescence, marriage, death. Berkano is the passive receptor and conserving protective force. It conceals and protects.

Othala: for its qualities pertaining to the ancestral attributes. That which is passed down through the clan. Land, property, but also inborn qualities that are the result of descent from a certain tribe. The mystery of the fylgja as a spiritual source of magical power. It is a symbol of that which is inherited through the generations by the whole clan in both material and spiritual realms. Immovable as the land and cannot be transferred out of the clan. The wise and just management of the land by the noble ones. Preserved clan/tribal law on a spiritual level. (This rune also feels masculine, whereas wunjo feels to me slightly more feminine, but again, I could be wrong. Either way both wunjo and othala embody qualities that seem to fit nicely with my intentions and goals.)

Now, to narrow it down, and develop a way in which to use the runes I choose. I have really no experience in using runes in any way other than divination or in meditation on a single rune at a time, plus the one bind rune I was shown in a dream, mentioned above and in a separate post.

Any advice, tips, suggestions would be most welcome. I'm still going through the futhark book, which is the best resource I have on runes, particularly in their uses. Not sure what I'll find. I've never read it all the way through.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Yr - chaos from below, women, femal
Ur - matter, primal power, the All-Mother
Ka - creative power, the balance of justice

from the Armanen (Ar-Man-En) Futhorkh of Guido Von List, by far the most powerful runic system extant in the world to date

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 am

I've read a bit about von List's work, but wasn't sure of the authenticity or quality. It seems there are mixed opinions, but I guess that's the case with everything.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Fand wrote:
I've read a bit about von List's work, but wasn't sure of the authenticity or quality. It seems there are mixed opinions, but I guess that's the case with everything.

I get a bit leery when people depart from tradition claiming, as Von List did, that they've had a "revelation." On the other hand, he DOES cite the Havamal as supporting what he teaches about runes.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Go with your intuition. Don't always rely on what other people tell you to believe or not believe. If it doesn't feel right or sit right with you, it's not. Follow your own internal instincts. Stormr

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Norse Storm wrote:
Go with your intuition. Don't always rely on what other people tell you to believe or not believe. If it doesn't feel right or sit right with you, it's not. Follow your own internal instincts. Stormr

I'll take that over someone's "revelation." Often enough, a "revelation" is just a strong hunch. It might be suited to individual or circumstances; not necessarily a universal truth.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

I'll take that over someone's "revelation." Often enough, a "revelation" is just a strong hunch. It might be suited to individual or circumstances; not necessarily a universal truth.

Agreed. I usually try to go with my instinct. It gets tricky when I'm just not getting any kind of vide or feel about something. ;)

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am

Fand wrote:
Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

Agreed. I usually try to go with my instinct. It gets tricky when I'm just not getting any kind of vide or feel about something. ;)

Probably that's why dads take kids fishing: to teach patience when nothing's happening.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 am

Ah, fishing! Now there's something I can do! ;)

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]