View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Initiation? 

The website drops a few hints about initiation. Does anyone care to add detail?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 am

Read Mirabello's book. It has everything you need to know. Stormr

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Norse Storm wrote:

Thanks, it's on my "to buy" list

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:23 am

My advice would be not to take initiation lightly and only initiate when the gods call you. And once those marks of joy are carved...there's no going back.
I've noticed some Odinists, who know that the gods are alive and not story's, tend to think the gods are too busy with their godly business to notice what we do in our short lives. They're wrong. They'll notice if you initiate and then abandon the brotherhood, for the gods are watching us a lot more than you'd think, it's easy for them to peer into this world. Now..The gods aren't omnipotent, but they are only off omnipotence by a few degrees...

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/uploads/ ... ition2.pdf

and you would be wise to refer to the information here also http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/library- ... files.html

Stormr

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 am

Lugal wrote:
My advice would be not to take initiation lightly and only initiate when the gods call you. And once those marks of joy are carved...there's no going back.
I've noticed some Odinists, who know that the gods are alive and not story's, tend to think the gods are too busy with their godly business to notice what we do in our short lives. They're wrong. They'll notice if you initiate and then abandon the brotherhood, for the gods are watching us a lot more than you'd think, it's easy for them to peer into this world. Now..The gods aren't omnipotent, but they are only off omnipotence by a few degrees...

I'm not rushing into initiation. But I do want to learn the details---including being called. Thus far, that's lacking.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 am

Well, there's nothing else to it than what's in the book.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am

Lugal wrote:

Other than intuition and what the gods call you to do .... Stormr

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:49 am

Lugal wrote:

Thanks. I am starting to read it today.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
Norse Storm wrote:

http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/uploads/ ... ition2.pdf

and you would be wise to refer to the information here also http://www.odinbrotherhood.com/library- ... files.html

Stormr

Thanks for the links. Where I live, i can generally access the forum; the website itself is intermittently unavailable.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:14 am

I am no great fan of technology, but I am grateful today. Have Mirabello's book on my smartphone now.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:39 am

Read Mirabello on the commute to work. It has the answers to the questions I had. Thanks for the valuable assistance.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 am

Norse Storm wrote:
Lugal wrote:

Other than intuition and what the gods call you to do .... Stormr

That's it! ;)

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Very interested who (if any) on this forum were called to the initiation prior to the writing of Mirabello's book in 1992?

Would love to hear from those that were "called" before it was put into print.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:53 am

SonOfTheNorse wrote:
Very interested who (if any) on this forum were called to the initiation prior to the writing of Mirabello's book in 1992?

I had a dream in 1989 that didn't make much sense until I read Mirabello's book decades later. Whether it was "the meeting of dreams" or not is debatable, I don't believe that it was but it definitely got my attention and contributed to me being on the path I am on today.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:43 am

SonOfTheNorse wrote:

I recall one of the moderators who post under the "Odin Brotherhood" account posted many years said he was initiated in the 1980's. He said he was brought into the fold the "old fashion way" by an older member of the Brotherhood. He spoke of old letters and relics kept in the possessions of some members. It seems the identity of some members is unknown even to other brotherhood members. It appears to me, I could be wrong, that the fraternity focuses more between men and gods then men ans men. Members are united mostly in a mission to protect the lore, relics and secrets of antiquity.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 am
Site Admin

BjornBerserk, what you write is true.

Always, the main focus has been on contacts between men and women and gods and goddesses.

I have heard legends that the Odin Brotherhood, at one time, in the seventeenth century, was reduced to one family. Whenever we are close to extinction, however, the gods and goddesses, who are always visiting, will visit special people. They visit physically, not as visions.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:21 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
BjornBerserk, what you write is true.

Always, the main focus has been on contacts between men and women and gods and goddesses.

I have heard legends that the Odin Brotherhood, at one time, in the seventeenth century, was reduced to one family. Whenever we are close to extinction, however, the gods and goddesses, who are always visiting, will visit special people. They visit physically, not as visions.

After reading this I began looking more into 17th Century witch hunts and noticed this on Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witches%27_mark

"The Devil was thought to mark the individual at the end of nocturnal initiation rites."

"It was believed that the marks of a witch were applied to “secret places": under the eyelids, in armpits and body cavities.[citation needed] Being found to have this mark was considered undeniable proof of being a witch. All witches and sorcerers were believed to have a witches' mark waiting to be found"

These are quotes from the Wikipedia article, I'm going to find more formal sources that speak about it. Personally I find it too similar to the "Marks of joy" of the Odin Brotherhood. While I think not all people with this mark stem for the Odin Brotherhood tradition from the Shrounded-One-Of-Odin I think it is proof that the rituals of the Odin Brotherhood are so old that the rites used are found and used across all of Europe after centuries of Christianity making transition of this knowledge very, very dangerous.

Also the 17th Century was drenched in blood, from the English civil war, fanatical witch hunts, the Polish deluge and rebellion of the Cossacks along the Black sea to the thirty years war. These conflicts were among the bloodiest in history until the second world war.
So it's impressive the lore survived at all during this period. In this context it makes sense why the Brotherhood is so strict with its secrets, it would appear other traditions in the same vein went extinct during this period.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

BjornBerserk wrote:
These are quotes from the Wikipedia article, I'm going to find more formal sources that speak about it. Personally I find it too similar to the "Marks of joy" of the Odin Brotherhood. While I think not all people with this mark stem for the Odin Brotherhood tradition from the Shrounded-One-Of-Odin I think it is proof that the rituals of the Odin Brotherhood are so old that the rites used are found and used across all of Europe after centuries of Christianity making transition of this knowledge very, very dangerous.

An interesting document about the subject is the Malleus Maleficarum (1486)

As the introduction on the linked site (Sacred Texts) says:
"This is the best known (i.e., the most infamous) of the witch-hunt manuals. Written in Latin, the Malleus was first submitted to the University of Cologne on May 9th, 1487. The title is translated as "The Hammer of Witches". Written by James Sprenger and Henry Kramer (of which little is known), the Malleus remained in use for three hundred years. It had tremendous influence in the witch trials in England and on the continent. This translation is in the public domain.

The Malleus was used as a judicial case-book for the detection and persecution of witches, specifying rules of evidence and the canonical procedures by which suspected witches were tortured and put to death. Thousands of people (primarily women) were judically murdered as a result of the procedures described in this book, for no reason than a strange birthmark, living alone, mental illness, cultivation of medicinal herbs, or simply because they were falsely accused (often for financial gain by the accuser).

Although the Malleus is manifestly a document which displays the cruelty, barbarism, and ignorance of the Inquisition, it has also been interpreted as evidence of a wide-spread subterranean pagan tradition which worshiped a pre-Christian horned deity, particularly by Margaret Murray
."

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm

SonOfTheNorse wrote:

I had my meeting of dreams after the book was written, but before I had read it or knew what it was. I was already an Odinist.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]