View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
The Úr Aldr 

A sudden burst of inspiration came to me just now, as I was looking up a little info on the outer edges of Midgard. (Something I need more knowledge about for my book.) I've had plans to try to weave bits of lore into the book, but what came to me today feels almost like a gift from Odin himself! It was so out of the blue, that some divine inspiration seems the only likely explanation.
The idea is multifaceted. First, to open the book with the Norse creation story, telling of Ginnungagap and how it all began.
Now the trick is not to inadvertently plagiarize my sources!
By the way, has anyone read or have any opinion of the Norroena Society's book "The Ásatrú Edda"? This is pretty much my go-to resource for the northern lore. I do have older translations of the Poetic Edda, but they are so difficult to read, and reading them on my tablet/phone as ebooks only adds to the difficulty. Just curious what everyone here thinks of this particular book.

But back to the topic: does anyone have any suggestions about telling this tale? What specific details and points would you feel ought to be mentioned? The idea is to educate the reader in order to provide a little crucial background info. Otherwise anyone not well versed in Norse mythology will likely be overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar terms, places, names and characters.
There are multiple ways I can do this. The first part is relatively straight forward: open the book with the creation story. OK, next, maybe open each chapter with a paragraph or so of lore, picking up from where it left off with the creation, moving chronologically. Or it could just be snippets relevant to the events taking place in the story. Either or...
Or should I do alternating chapters of lore and story? But I think that might be too much — for me and the readers.

Well, what do you all think? I'm still going to tell the story of Baldr. That much I have not forgotten. I just haven't gotten to writing that chapter yet. That won't happen until after the battle with the dragon. (Of course, no one has any idea what I'm talking about! ;D)

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 am

My advice is to tell the story with all the detail crammed in that you find interesting. Then rewrite it and edit out what is beside the point, too arcane, etc. But don't edit too much. A certain amount of unfamilar lore is a spur to the reader to go google and get an education. (One of the things that still has me biting nails is readers of Tolkein who think, "Wow! He made all that up!")

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
My advice is to tell the story with all the detail crammed in that you find interesting. Then rewrite it and edit out what is beside the point, too arcane, etc. But don't edit too much. A certain amount of unfamilar lore is a spur to the reader to go google and get an education. (One of the things that still has me biting nails is readers of Tolkein who think, "Wow! He made all that up!")

Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do, but unlike so many people, I love details, and then I can't decide what to sacrifice! It all seems important! Haha! I suppose, maybe, I can do without specifying which of Ymir's children came from his armpit and which came from his feet! Although, it does make for a very hilarious mental image, I don't think readers will know what to make of that. Even I struggle to comprehend that one.
The first time I read Tolkien, my knowledge of lore was pretty limited, but even in my ignorance, I could tell that his inspiration came from the lore. Of course, the more I studied both the Irish mythology and later Norse, the more obvious this became. It always felt like a tribute to the lore, which is why I love tlotr. For people not to be able to figure this out says a lot for the ignorance of society and just how much our nations in the west have lost their cultural identity. Sad. The worst part is that most people think all this is unimportant.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am

Fand wrote:

Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do, but unlike so many people, I love details, and then I can't decide what to sacrifice! It all seems important! Haha! I suppose, maybe, I can do without specifying which of Ymir's children came from his armpit and which came from his feet! Although, it does make for a very hilarious mental image, I don't think readers will know what to make of that. Even I struggle to comprehend that one.
The first time I read Tolkien, my knowledge of lore was pretty limited, but even in my ignorance, I could tell that his inspiration came from the lore. Of course, the more I studied both the Irish mythology and later Norse, the more obvious this became. It always felt like a tribute to the lore, which is why I love tlotr. For people not to be able to figure this out says a lot for the ignorance of society and just how much our nations in the west have lost their cultural identity. Sad. The worst part is that most people think all this is unimportant.

You could try footnoting a lot of the detail.

I know what you mean by ignorance. I'm sure there are people out there who think Thor was just one more Marvel comics creation.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 am

Oh yes. That's very irritating.

I doubt if I'd have the patience for all that footnoting, but will keep it in mind.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 am

Fand wrote:

I doubt if I'd have the patience for all that footnoting, but will keep it in mind.

You need a literate thrall or ten for that.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am

Fand wrote:

You need a literate thrall or ten for that.

I really do!!! They could do my research for me too! I spend way too much time looking stuff up before actually finding what I need, and then don't get enough writing done.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]