View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Forging? 

Mirabello's book says that part of the initiation involves using a dagger one forges him/herself "from old materials." I assume this means one beats and a shrapens a dagger from metal used for some other purpose. Does anyone have any pointers? I'd check YouTube, but it's firewalled in this country.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm

My advice is to just do the best you can do. If it isn't forged right and it is nothing more than a glorified prison shank, you still took the effort to do it. If you are financially well enough to have one forged, I think that would be a consideration. Either way you are expending a certain amount of energy to achieve that goal. That is my personal opinion.
For more in depth information on things that other people have done, I would recommend Jack Wolf's book about the Brotherhood. The standard reply on this forum to questions like that is to think for yourself. Each aspect of these rituals has meaning to them that should be considered and followed, but as extraordinary men, we are capable of using our discretion to complete the task at hand.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

BigCountry wrote:
My advice is to just do the best you can do. If it isn't forged right and it is nothing more than a glorified prison shank, you still took the effort to do it. If you are financially well enough to have one forged, I think that would be a consideration. Either way you are expending a certain amount of energy to achieve that goal. That is my personal opinion.
For more in depth information on things that other people have done, I would recommend Jack Wolf's book about the Brotherhood. The standard reply on this forum to questions like that is to think for yourself. Each aspect of these rituals has meaning to them that should be considered and followed, but as extraordinary men, we are capable of using our discretion to complete the task at hand.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the prison shank. There's a bridge construction site near my home. Lots of scrap metal there to choose from.

"Think for myself." Yeah. Re-reading my post, it does have that of a whiny ***** tone about it.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

this has been adressed before, someone litterally just used a sharp peice of stained glass window from an old church. get creative.

however knowing how to forge is always good; if you forge steel, you could use the ashes ffrom a burnt wolf's claw as the carbon component, thereby embuing your athame with the spirit of the animal. or the ashes of an ancestor who fought in a war...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

As Tyrsson said, it doesn't need to be steel, it can be forged from any material - personally I'd go with something organic - even using a stone flint could work. The key here is to 'create' this yourself - i.e.. your blood, sweat and tears created it, an offering to the gods. To have it forged elsewhere by someone else defeats the purpose. Stormr

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 pm

The edged tool from old materials is symbolic of you undergoing a transformation and rebirth. Make it mean something.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 am

BjornBerserk wrote:
The edged tool from old materials is symbolic of you undergoing a transformation and rebirth. Make it mean something.

Yes. When I said "prison shank" I meant 1) I'd fashion the thing myself, and am not particularly adept at metal working; 2) a poor work of my own is better than perfection I paid for.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 am

Tyrsson wrote:
this has been adressed before, someone litterally just used a sharp peice of stained glass window from an old church. get creative.

however knowing how to forge is always good; if you forge steel, you could use the ashes ffrom a burnt wolf's claw as the carbon component, thereby embuing your athame with the spirit of the animal. or the ashes of an ancestor who fought in a war...

Not THAT is creative. I like the idea of actually beating metal hot from the fire.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 am
Site Admin

In the initiation, as in all things with the Brotherhood, the result is more important than the technique.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 am

Wotan's Late Harvest wrote:
BjornBerserk wrote:
2) a poor work of my own is better than perfection I paid for.

Well reasoned. Perhaps this is the most important step toward greatness.
r

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 am

OdinBrotherhood wrote:
In the initiation, as in all things with the Brotherhood, the result is more important than the technique.

Yes. As Camus wrote, "One cultivates method where one lacks character."

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am

In الظهران (Dhahran) in 1990-91 a Scud missile blew up a barracks and killed many U.S. Airmen. I was not in the barracks but I did survey the wreckage in my former capacity. At that time I picked up several pieces of wreckage from the site; focusing on the Missile fragments.

Years later in 2000 I was inclined to mold it into something. My friend had a 'mini' forge and I melted it down. Without giving it much thought, I hammered it into a blade (even though a very rudimentary blade). That blade has sat on my curio for many, many years with no purpose... Yet, with the help of this forum, I may have found a purpose finally. I will think on it, and talk to the Gods further on this matter, to ensure that this is my true path.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:24 am

SonOfTheNorse wrote:
In الظهران (Dhahran) in 1990-91 a Scud missile blew up a barracks and killed many U.S. Airmen. I was not in the barracks but I did survey the wreckage in my former capacity. At that time I picked up several pieces of wreckage from the site; focusing on the Missile fragments.

Years later in 2000 I was inclined to mold it into something. My friend had a 'mini' forge and I melted it down. Without giving it much thought, I hammered it into a blade (even though a very rudimentary blade). That blade has sat on my curio for many, many years with no purpose... Yet, with the help of this forum, I may have found a purpose finally. I will think on it, and talk to the Gods further on this matter, to ensure that this is my true path.

That is fascinating how things come together like they did for you

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm

It is like the Gods are playing chess with our destiny; and though we control most of our own moves, they are hundreds of moves ahead of us.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]